Post Doctoral Scientist
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
In the “Plant Genome Research Program” program solicitation (NSF 16-614) the National Science Foundation awarded a grant for our joint proposal with the University of Missouri entitled “RESEARCH-PGR: System approaches to study soybean root biology at high resolution.” The project requires hiring a Post Doctoral Scientist to work on developing new analytical technologies for the study of infection thread formation in soybean roots at single cell resolution. The Post Doctoral Scientist’s responsibilities will include:
- Conducts active laboratory research on a semi-independent basis. Designs and evaluates experiments; develops new ideas that promote current research; and, plans and develops research methods and techniques within the framework of the project.
- Maintains accurate records of research findings and analysis of the results.
- Prepares and publishes scientific manuscripts under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI).
- In conjunction with the PI, presents findings at internal and external conferences/meetings. Attends, contributes to, and as necessary, leads internal and external meetings.
- Operates specialized scientific equipment.
- Teaches techniques to others; trains and oversees students; and, ensures that responsibilities identified within internal policies are met by all research members.
- Oversees the maintenance of the lab and equipment, and as needed, orders materials and supplies.
- Performs other work related duties (administrative, completing forms, etc.) as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in biomedical mass spectrometry and instrument development is preferred. The successful candidate will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of investigators to study in-situ dynamics of plant/microbe systems at unprecedented levels of resolution. A strong record of publications and achievements in related areas are preferred.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: M-F, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status.
Recommendations from three references should be sent by the references to Prof. Vertes at email@example.com.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of Publications