Associate Vice President for Business and Finance/Controller
Morehouse College isseeking an experienced individual with demonstrated organizational, technical, communication and presentation skills (verbal and written), with an understanding of and ability to work through complex fund accounting and financial problems. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Business and Finance, the candidate must be a team player and able to work cooperatively and effectively with diverse campus groups. The responsibilities, experience and educational requirements are summarized below.
Position Title: Associate Vice President for Business and Finance/Controller
Division/Department: Office of Business and Finance
Reports To: Sr. Vice President of Business & Finance, CFO
Morehouse College has an opening for the position of Associate Vice President for Business and Finance/Controller. We are seeking an experienced individual with demonstrated organizational, technical, communication and presentation skills (verbal and written), with an understanding of and ability to work through complex fund accounting and financial problems. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Business and Finance, the candidate must be a team player and able to work cooperatively and effectively with diverse campus groups. The responsibilities, experience and educational requirements are summarized below.
- The Controller is responsible for the accounting, internal control, and financial reporting functions at Morehouse College.
- The Controller is responsible for maintaining the Banner Financial accounting system, general ledger accounting, the year end audit (serves as audit liaison to the independent auditor), the preparation of timely and accurate financial statements, including tax compliance.
- This position ensures compliance with state and federal regulations, such as tax regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, and reporting requirements.
- The position is also responsible for the developing and maintaining of the accounting operating procedures and for the retention and safety of the accounting records and files.
- Units’ currently reporting to the Controller includes the grants and contracts accounting office, the accounting department, payroll, and accounts payable.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- The successful candidate must be detail oriented and have demonstrated experience with a complex database computerized accounting system.
- Preference will be given to the candidate with complex database computerized accounting system experience (Ellucian’s Banner financial systems) and SQL.
- FASB accounting experiences strongly desired.
- Fund accounting endowment and experience in a nonprofit environment is strongly desired.
- The candidate must have hands on experience and working knowledge of Microsoft suite applications (Word, Excel, Presentation and Access) with particular strengths in the use of access and other database application in designing reports.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting/finance required
- Strong preference for an individual with a CPA and 7+ years of successful experience that includes direct responsibility for supervision of the accounting staff (general accounting, grant accounting, accounts payable and related accounting functions).
- MBA\MA\CPA strongly desired.
- Frequent standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time is required
- Lifting 20lbs as needed
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Some travel required
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Apply by using the following method:
To be considered for a position with Morehouse College, please complete the employment application and upload your resume. Please ensure that the position title and corresponding department are included on your cover letter, resume and/or employment application.
Morehouse College is an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant will be discriminated against in any condition of employment because of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.