Instructional Designer - Department of Computer Science (A1800201)
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Computer Science is seeking two Instructional Designers to design, develop, and manage effective online courses in collaboration with faculty. This includes defining learning objectives, managing the production of video lessons, creating scalable formative and summative student assessments, and evaluating and maintaining online course quality.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop high-quality online courses in collaboration with Computer Science and other faculty while working cooperatively with staff in the College of Engineering and the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning (CITL).
- Maintain expertise in the learning management system (LMS) platforms utilized for the online courses offered by the Department of Computer Science, and, as needed, contribute to the further improvement of these LMS platforms.
- Design online modules and integrate current educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to improve student learning experiences.
- Act as primary point of contact for faculty, staff and students on the use of online tools for teaching and learning, including, but not limited to:
- Answering student questions
- Supervising teaching assistants (train, delegate tasks, manage performance, etc.)
- Assisting in the grade assignment and student progress review processes
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of the department.
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in computer science, educational technology or a related field.
- Demonstrated competence in working with learning management systems/online learning platforms.
- Demonstrated systems programming skills.
- Experience with HTML/CSS, multimedia (including images, audio, and video), and development tools.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Great attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prioritize, schedule, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects.
- Experience with the Coursera MOOC platform or other LMS platforms.
- Experience programming cloud-based systems.
- Experience in the design or delivery of online course material.
- Experience in CS education as an instructor or teaching assistant.
The Instructional Designer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by April 20, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Denise Corray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-300-3309.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Instructional Designer - Department of Computer Science (A1800201)
Open Date: 03/30/2018
Close Date: 04/20/2018
Organization Name: Computer Science