Research Computing Facility Service Manager - National Center for Supercomputing Applications ( A18
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
Research Computing Facility Service Manager
The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) advances discovery and innovation through extreme-scale computing, science-enabling software, and the skills of our expert staff. The center is part of the flagship University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign--a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement-and is located in a micro-urban community that combines cultural vibrancy with affordability and quality of life.
NCSA is currently seeking a Research Computing Facility Service Manager to represent large optical astronomy survey facilities and services at the Center to managers and users within the Astronomy Division. The Astronomy Division at NCSA hosts data and computation services for large optical astronomy surveys, currently the Dark Energy Survey (DES) and the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) Project. Both projects are large distributed collaborations. The Research Computing Facility Service Manager is the prime day-to-day liaison to users of these services at NCSA, and to managers of organized activities using these services.
NCSA is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff, students, and other colleagues, and who can contribute to the culture of inclusivity, are encouraged to apply.
- Acquire and apply thorough understanding of the services offered in the Astronomy Core Services (ACS) Division, ensuring outstanding quality of service for each group of users.
- Lead the development of processes and infrastructure supporting service management, especially aspects of service management focused on service users.
- Maintain elements of the infrastructure supporting service management, including service catalogs, service agreements and service targets.
- Interface with managers of organized groups using these computing services. Form the definitive opinion about the level of user satisfaction with the services offered by the facility.
- Work with organizations using our services to guide their understanding and effective use of the services.
- Work with service managers to recognize and implement system improvements, giving feedback from users' points of view.
- Interface with selected users and representatives of users to determine computing needs.
- Provide critical input to service managers about the level of satisfaction of user groups.
- Lead steering efforts and overall evolutionary design of the computing services.
- Explain computing services to and educate users on optimal use of the services.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in science or related field required. Alternative degree fields may be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience (depending on nature and depth of experience as it relates to current NCSA projects).
- Three years' experience in scientific computing.
- Minimum of three years' professional experience dealing with scientific organizations.
- Experience in facilitating computing service delivery.
- Experience with standards structuring computing facilities, ITIL or similar.
This is a regular academic professional position at NCSA and is an annually renewable, 12/12, 100%-time appointment with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and start date will be as soon as possible after the close date of the search. Applicants must possess required education and experience by start date of position. Interviews may occur before the closing date; however, all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and CV/resume by the close date (5/31/2018). Contact information for three references must be included on the application (letters maybe also be uploaded or sent to the contact above). For full consideration, candidates must complete the Hiretouch application process by the above date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. For further information regarding application procedures, please visit http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Computing Facility Service Manager - National Center for Supercomputing Applications ( A1800304 )
Open Date: 05/17/2018
Close Date: 05/31/2018
Organization Name: Supercomputing Applications