Admissions Counselor / Senior Admissions Counselor - Office of Undergraduate Admissions ( A1800303
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign
Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. As a representative of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Admissions Counselor/Senior Admissions Counselor will counsel and advise prospective students, their families, and high school and community college partners through the undergraduate admission and enrollment process.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the Illinois undergraduate admissions office in assigned regions and create and implement recruitment and outreach plans for those areas.
- Develop comprehensive plans for travel and outreach based on the Illinois' strategy of recruiting a highly diverse and talented applicant pool.
- Counsel and provide information and advice about Illinois generally, and about its admissions procedures specifically, to domestic and international prospective students, applicants, their parents and secondary school guidance counselors in a prompt, professional and courteous manner.
- Read and evaluate admissions applications; apply discretion and independent judgment in evaluating and comparing applications and gathering information in preparation for admission consideration; and make admissions decisions based on campus enrollment goals.
- Reach out and encourage prospective students and admitted students to explore and eventually matriculate at Illinois through staffing on-campus programs, scheduling personal visits to secondary schools, attending college fair programs, and engaging in correspondence, email and/or telephone contact.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of communication campaigns, social media engagement, search committees, and other on campus committees.
- Engage with professional organizations relevant to assigned duties and territory.
- Assist with operations functions including, but not limited to transcript verification, course articulation, processing and notification of admissions decisions.
- Assist with other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- May require travel and overnight stays.
- May require lifting boxes of materials.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities for the senior position:
- Represent the Illinois undergraduate admissions office in out-of-state regions and create and implement recruitment and outreach plans for those areas.
- Read and evaluate transfer and international admissions applications; apply discretion and independent judgment in evaluating and comparing applications and gathering information in preparation for admission consideration; and make admissions decisions based on campus enrollment goals.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of summer registration.
- Use knowledge and expertise to serve as a mentor, and develop and support staff in the evaluation of applications holistically and consistently.
- Serve as an educator for admissions committee colleagues and leadership on variances and programmatic issues with secondary schools in assigned region(s).
- Supervise and manage admissions office student volunteers or employees.
- Lead and assist with other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
Collateral Assignment by Location
- Chicago - Assist with implementation of outreach programs and visit programs for students in the Chicagoland to campus.
- Urbana - Assist with implementation of summer registration programs.
Rotating Collateral Assignments (one assignment from the following areas will be given each year)
- Plan and coordinate Transfer specific visit programs.
- Attend State University Transfer Days, community college visits, transfer fairs, and other transfer related visit programs.
- Counsel, provide information and advice about Illinois generally, and about its admissions procedures specifically, to potential transfer students, applicants, their parents, community college partners, secondary school guidance counselors in a prompt, professional and courteous manner.
Campus Visit Programs
- Assist with the coordination of on campus visit experiences and group visits including communication, invites, space request, catering, event scheduling, student panel, evaluations, and closing reports.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of Peer Recruitment Programs, MAARS, and other specialize outreach activities.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of programs for school counselors, community college partners, and other programs as assigned.
- Participate in various programs to promote college readiness and attainment.
- Coordinate and implement programs for specialized populations (e.g. Peer Recruitment Program)
Required education, experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- Strong background in presentation and interpersonal communication.
- Experience with providing high-quality customer service.
- Valid driver's license.
- Understanding and commitment to affirmative action in educational access and employment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Dynamic personality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
Preferred education, experience and qualifications:
- Master's degree
- Minimum one year of relevant experience.
- Fluency in a second language.
Additional required experience and qualifications for the senior position:
- Direct work experience in Undergraduate Admissions or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience.
- Experience in providing high-quality customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain strong work ethic and handle high-volume of work, execute projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with Banner and Slate systems.
Additional preferred experience for the senior position:
- Experience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or similar higher education institution.
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position and salary is commensurate with experience. To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload your letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references, including contact information by May 31, 2018. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. The preferred start date for this position is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at 217-300-2734.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Admissions Counselor / Senior Admissions Counselor - Office of Undergraduate Admissions ( A1800303 )
Open Date: 05/17/2018
Close Date: 05/31/2018
Organization Name: Undergraduate Admissions