Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at GW’s Milken Institute School of Public Health is conducting a study for an NIH NCI funded grant evaluating several HR-HPV biomarkers for their ability to improve specificity for predicting AIN2+ in a high-risk population of HIV-infected men who have sex with men.
The Laboratory Manager will assist in managing the day to day operations associated with this study, including sample acquisition, storage, shipping, processing, nucleic acid extractions, specimen testing, QA/QC, data entry and some analyses. The Laboratory Manager will report directly to the project PI.
- Manage the acquisition of samples
- Manage sample storage
- Manage the shipment of samples
- Manage sample processing
- Manage DNA/RNA extractions
- Manage HPV genotyping
- Flow cytometry
- Lateral flow protein assay
- Epigenetics evaluation
- Operating micropipettes, centrifuges, thermocyclers and other types of laboratory equipment
- Working in a laminar flow hood in a BSL2+ laboratory
- Using sterile technique
- Ordering reagents and consumables
- Maintaining freezer inventories of specimens
- Maintaining freezer and refrigerator temperature logs
- Manage replacement of filters, UV lamps and performing QC on the Millipore water purification system
- Manage annual freezer defrosting
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a BA/BS in a related discipline plus 5 years of relevant professional experience or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s degree and 3 year of experience in a related discipline
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Support Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: M-F, 8:00-5 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000545 Job Open Date: 05/17/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter