DIR, FACILITIES, A&S
DIR, FACILITIES, A&S
Arts & Science Facilities
Position leads Facilities Operations for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences (A&S). Responsible for the management of approximately 1.2 million square feet of space (office, classroom, laboratory and performance space) in over 50 campus buildings. Interacting with the Provost Office as well as involvement with the other University Schools including the Pratt School of Engineering, Nicholas School of the Environment, Divinity School, and Sanford School of Public Policy regarding facilities issues.
• Provide strategic direction for Minor (under $100K) and Major (over $100K) projects. Projects are to be completed on time and within budget (over $3M total budget). Projects are coordinated with the design team, Facilities Office, and the end user. For major renovations, coordination is expanded to include not only an expanded design team but Facilities Management Department (FMD), the engineers, and the contractors. Commitment to quality assurance and customer service is imperative. - 20%.
• Collaborate with all other levels of the University from the Executive Vice President, to the Provost, to the Occupational, Environmental & Safety Office (O.E.S.O.), from the Police to the Fire Safety Departments and FMD, to the heads of the other University Schools in an effort to accomplish the facility goals of A&S as well as the greater good of Duke. Ability to build and sustain positive and collaborative working relationships with a wide range of constituents. - 20%
• Interact with over 40 Department and Program Chairs as well as the faculty and staff - including the Centers and Institutes - to help define, establish and prioritize their building needs from Programming through Construction. Critical to the success of any size project, building and maintaining trusting and solid on going relations with the clients is paramount. - 15%
• Provide strategic long-range facilities plans and an annual budget in collaboration with the Dean, Divisional Deans, and Vice Dean Finance & Administration- 10%.
• Assist the Facilities Management Department with administering and monitoring large and complex Capital building projects as well as involvement in preparing the budgets. These are projects outside of the A&S Facilities budget, but involve collective efforts amongst several Duke entities. - 10%.
• Provide facilities management leadership to the A&S Facilities Office including the Assistant Director, 3 Building Managers and the A&S Facilities Scheduler. Most critical is to build team trust and cooperation among the staff and project managers, building on each the staff's strength and skill sets. The collective good of the Facilities operation is dependent on strong leadership and guidance. - 10%.
• Collaborate with local and national Architects, Engineers and Contractors as part of the design team regarding all building efforts. - 10%.
• Serve with FMD and the Sustainability group as part of a management team towards energy conservation resolutions that could provide significant cost savings. - 5%.
• Perform other related duties necessary to complete the work outlined above.
The above statements describe the general nature of the work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
2939 DIR, FACILITIES, A&S
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.