Program Assistant, School of Nursing
Program Assistant: The School of Nursing
The College of New Jersey School of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science is seeking a full-time, 12-month Program Assistant to provide primary program assistance for the Department of Nursing. The Department of Nursing provides a service to students and community by educating individuals to attain excellence as professional nurses at the baccalaureate and master's levels while promoting health and wellness at The College of New Jersey and the broader community. The department has 13 full-time faculty, 4-5 part-time faculty, 29 adjunct faculty, 300+ students and staff support.
The Program Assistant is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Department of Nursing which includes both graduate and undergraduate degree programs. Primary responsibilities include:
- Greet and assist visitors, answer phones, messages and email communications; maintain department calendars; handle routine requests for information related to department programs;
- Prepare and communicate department academic probation and dismissal processes;
- Manage and maintain Department budget as per Department Chair;
- Serve as the database administrator for department databases; maintain department website and social networking systems; use all operating systems: computers and supporting software (i.e., Microsoft Office) to prepare correspondence, technical and other reports, and departmental or educational materials;
- Maintain all electronic and hard copy files on department drives. Ensure that all committee and task force meeting minutes are typed, filed and kept in an orderly fashion in both hard copy and electronic files, and represent a complete set of meeting minutes for that academic year;
- Provide administrative and customer service support to student orientation programs and coordinate department events with input from Dean, Chair and other faculty/student representatives e.g. White Coat Ceremony, Pinning, Commencement;
- Assist Chair, Graduate Track Leaders, and BSN and Graduate Outcome Coordinators with department responsibilities, including course and student scheduling;
- Work with Faculty, Chair and Dean on accreditation reports for: American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN); Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE); National League for Nursing (NLN); New Jersey State Board of Nursing;
- Provide back up support for the administrative suite to answer phones
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree or an Associate's degree with two years' experience or the equivalent is required. Experienced applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute required experience on a year-for-year basis (30 credit hours are considered one year of college)
- Related work experience including demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office software, web-site management, database and office management, and social networking systems
- Effective communication skills to express ideas, concepts, or directions. Seek clarification and affirm understanding in verbal exchanges. If communication is written, thoughts are expressed with appropriate grammar, organization, and structure. Effectively demonstrate job knowledge and ability to answer queries. Knowledge and skills contribute to the work of the unit
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within department (students, faculty, staff), other offices or organizations whose functions impact assigned responsibilities
- Ability to comprehend, interpret and apply established state and college-wide laws, regulations, guidelines, policies, and procedures, including nursing regulations
- 1 - 3 years' experience in higher education or academic institution, nursing or health related discipline preferred
- Demonstrated experience working efficiently both independently and in a team environment
- Experience with and enjoyment of working with young adults
- Experience working in a Dean's office or Student Affairs
This position is a New Jersey Civil Service position with the state title Program Assistant. It is aligned to the Communication Workers of America (CWA) bargaining unit. The starting salary for this position is Range 16, Step 1, $42,054.75. Permanent appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a 4-month probationary period to access the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Salary for an internal candidate will be determined in accordance with Civil Service rules.
The College offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and prescription plans as well as pension, paid leave time and tuition savings programs. Under a new residency bill signed into law by Governor Chris Christie, any individual hired on, or after September 1, 2011, will be required to establish a principal residence in New Jersey unless their position is exempt. New employees will have a full 365 days to establish such residence, from the effective date of hire. Any new employee who believes that they have a critical need to live outside of New Jersey, or that a move to a permanent residence within the state would constitute a hardship, may request an exemption from the provisions of the law by appealing to a five-member committee to be established by the State for the purpose of hearing such appeals.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume and complete the application for employment. A final offer of employment will be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background investigation.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourage women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.