Shipping/Receiving Clerk - Part-time
Shipping/Receiving Clerk - Part-time
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09396
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 14, Fulltime, Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: The first two steps of the range are: $2,504 to $2,558 per month. Higher salary placement may be available based on qualifications, experience and internal equity.
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Only current Portland Community College Staff (other than "Student" and "Casual" employees) are eligible to apply for this opening
This is a Part-time .7 FTE position (approximately 1,456 hours per year)
Schedule: Work hours are 8:00 am to 3:30 pm (30 min lunch) T, W, Th, F
Under the direction of central stores or bookstore management, receives, verifies invoices, forwards and stores merchandise for user departments or for sale in campus outlets. Drives cargo van or truck to deliver and pick up merchandise, books and other goods throughout the college district and Portland area businesses and schools. Interpersonal contacts primarily include college central service staff, external delivery services, publishers, manufacturers and local businesses. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange information which is sometimes technical or complex. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of Sick Leave per month
- 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
- 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives incoming shipments of merchandise; transports to storage area, verifies count with packing slip/invoice, notes and records any shortages/overages. Notifies appropriate operational and accounting personnel of any discrepancies. May affix prices on general merchandise prior to putting them into stock or transporting them to campus outlets.
- Puts merchandise into stock and/or arranges for transfer. Operates forklift, pallet jack, and/or hand truck to transport goods.
- Drives cargo van or truck to deliver and pick up equipment, books, furniture and other merchandise throughout the college district and Portland area businesses and schools.
- Provides information, takes and processes orders in person or through telephone contact.
- Ships goods/merchandise via U.P.S. and various freight carriers. In the event of damage or incorrect shipments, packs and returns items to vendor, in accordance with vendor guidelines and carrier regulations.
- Conducts inventory of goods and equipment as required. Works with purchasing and accounts payable departments on matters concerning proper location of goods, complete/incomplete purchase orders and requisitions and location of necessary paperwork to complete and ship orders.
- Organizes and maintains storage area in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains accurate files and records; distributes documents to appropriate departments.
- Provides training and guidance to other staff and alternative learning students, work study and student help.
- Performs preventive maintenance, servicing, fueling and recordkeeping of college vehicles. Arranges for other repairs as necessary.
- May process student book orders via the phone and/or web. This involves accessing orders, pulling books to be sent, operating a cash register, and shipping items to students.
- Provides back-up and/or assists in related functions, such as mailroom.
- May assist and/or be cross-trained in other related areas such as heavy truck driving.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Note-experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
High school diploma or equivalent.
One year of experience performing stock control, inventory and recordkeeping functions.
Must have a valid driver's license and possess an acceptable driving record. Must be able to pass PCC's "Forklift Operators" and "Right to Know" requirements.
Basic knowledge of computer data entry/retrieval procedures.
Ability to interact effectively with wide spectrum of people, and to maintain composure under stressful conditions. Requires patience and well-developed verbal skills to provide training and guidance to others, particularly special needs students. Ability to organize and schedule work to meet established timelines with minimum supervision.
Must be able to lift/move heavy boxes, materials (70+ lbs). Uses learned physical skill to operate forklift, pallet jack and hand truck. Requires considerable physical exertion.
Note to Applicants
- For new employees, official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for all degrees stated in the minimum qualifications.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
1) Demonstrated work history in high volume, detail oriented environment
2) Experience using MBS ARC inventory management system
3) Experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders in a professional environment
4) Experience receiving and pricing general merchandise items
5) Experience shipping and receiving freight and UPS shipments
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.