Temporary Orientation Planning & Office Assistant (Summer Position)
This is a temporary position that is scheduled to end on September 14, 2018, or as needed by the department.
Please upload the following items to complete your application:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (1)
- List of 2 to 3 References
International Place of The Claremont Colleges, a shared services office serving The Claremont Colleges, is seeking an organized and self-motivated individual to assist International Place staff during the summer in preparation for new International Student and Scholar Orientation Program.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Assistant Director, the Orientation Planning & Office Assistant performs or works independently/collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Manages new student database with relation to arrival programs and orientation.
- Coordinates sign-ups for Airport Pickup and Host Family programs, including follow-up inquiries.
- Provides support with assistant walk-in traffic by answering common inquiries and directing to the appropriate staff member, as needed.
- Advises individuals and student groups on usage of International Place lounge, kitchen, including follow-up of checked-out items.
- Keeps International Place lounge and kitchen in order as needed, including, but not limited to, emptying coffee urns and moving furniture back to proper place at the end of the day.
- Manages student mail, including e-mail reminders, distribution, preparing documents for express mail, and forwarding mail.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is required.
- Experience with the International Student community at The Claremont Colleges is preferred.
- Familiarity with each of The Claremont Colleges and the Consortium model is preferred.
LICENSES: A valid CA driver’s license is preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: May be required to lift light to moderate items up to 30 lbs., such as tables and chairs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Publisher, Excel)
- Enthusiastic about international student programming
- Ability to multitask and manage simultaneous deadlines
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Experience living, working and/or studying abroad is desired
- Knowledge of a second language is desired
- Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised is desired
HOURS: The regular hours for this position will be 15 up to 40 hours per week. Hours may vary due to needs of the department.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a temporary, part-time position.
This is a non-benefits eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 43-0000 Office and Administrative Support Occupations
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.