Director of Human Resources
The Director for Human Resources is responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the Human Resources function. Areas of responsibility include employee relations, employment and recruitment, payroll, compensation, benefits, performance management, staff development, employment policies, compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, and serving as the College’s Title IX Coordinator.
The Director for Human Resources has a considerable impact on the hiring, training, discipline, and retention of quality employees. The Director of Human Resources provides a vision for the human resource function at the College. This person will also ensure that all human resources operations are managed effectively and will be responsible for developing human resource strategies and providing sound advice to the CFO. It is essential that the person in this position be an excellent planner and communicator in order to be able to coordinate all human resource functions and responsibilities.
The Director of Human Resources plays a critical role in the College’s diversity initiatives, staff development, and wellness programs and therefore must be able to envision and lead, in conjunction, with other members of the College, a comprehensive and on-going diversity program, staff development and wellness planning and programs to assist in the growth, health, and retention of employees.
In addition to possessing extensive knowledge of Silver Lake College of the Holy Family policies and programs, the Director of Human Resources must consistently demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills when relating to traditional-age, as well as adult students, parents, faculty and staff. It is essential that this individual have a genuine interest in and concern for the people he or she serves.
It is also important that the Director for Human Resources is able to relate positively to people from a wide variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. This individual interacts with members of diverse groups of people, at times in emotionally charged situations, and also serves as a role model. It is essential that the individual in this position consistently displays empathy and compassion, demonstrates high standards of personal conduct, and exercises appropriate discretion with regard to individuals’ rights to privacy. It is also essential that this individual maintains a positive attitude about students, faculty, and staff.
Contributing to the challenges of this position is the fact that unique and spontaneous situations, which must be dealt with immediately, occur regularly and may occur at any hour of any day. Each situation requires the application of sound judgment in determining the most appropriate course of action. While these situations often require decisive action, the Director of Human Resources must in other instances be comfortable functioning in a supportive rather than a directive role when this approach will allow students, faculty, and staff to derive the maximum benefit and satisfaction from their experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note that all functions described below must be performed, and it is normally the responsibility of the individual in this position to perform them and/or see that they are performed. Functions are categorized as essential and marginal so that consideration can be given to accommodating a person with a disability by reassigning one or more marginal functions if it is practical for such function(s) to be performed by other employee(s).
- Plans, organizes, and controls all activities of the human resources department. Develops departmental goals and makes recommendations to the CFO for improvement of College policies, procedures, and practices pertaining to the Human Resource matters.
- Works with leaders at all levels regarding employee relations, employment and recruitment, compensation, job descriptions, performance management, staff development and employment policies.
- Responsible for College compliance with federal, state, and local laws pertaining to all Human Resources matters. Consults with legal counsel and tax and benefits experts as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer in cost-effective management of benefits programs.
- Recommend and evaluate staff development training programs.
- Provide consultation and customer service to the campus community on all employee benefit services.
- Collaborate with the finance area to ensure all payroll function deadlines are met.
- Prepare and issue faculty contracts after consultation with the Deans Council, the Chief Financial Officer, and the President.
- Prepare and issue staff letters of appointment.
- In collaboration with other leaders at the College, ensure an effective employee orientation program is implemented that provides new employees with an indoctrination to our Mission, traditions, cultures, history and Catholic, Franciscan values.
- In collaboration with other leaders at the College, ensure an effective employee evaluation system is utilized to provide employees regular feedback to assist them in performing their duties well.
- Serve as the Title IX Coordinator for the College.
- Serve as the Equal Opportunity Officer for the College.
- Complete annual compensation surveys such as CUPA, IPEDS, WAICU, etc.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as needed or assigned.
Perform routine office functions such as data entry, filing and copying.
- Clear commitment to and understanding of the mission of Silver Lake College of the Holy Family which empowers students through a quality liberal arts education integrated with professional preparation offered in an environment of mutual respect and concern for persons, based on the principles and truths of Catholic Franciscan tradition. Commitment to an environment that nurtures communication, collaboration, diversity, stewardship, innovation and excellence.
- Ability to establish collaborative working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and outside constituent groups. Ability to consistently demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with persons both internal and external to the College, both on the telephone and in person.
- The ability to remain calm in crisis situations, to act decisively, and to apply sound judgement, in determining appropriate action regarding interventions, assistance, and referral of students and employees to other College staff members.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, in a manner consistent with professional standards, including making oral presentations to groups and contributing to the development of high quality written and online materials which reflect positively on the University.
- Must demonstrate well-reasoned, sound judgement and a collaborative decision-making style.
- Must have the ability to collect and analyze data as well as complex financial information, including budget management.
- Experience dealing with employee and student disciplinary matters; including sexual assault and other Title IX violations.
- Knowledge of and a thorough understanding of conflict resolution processes.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations related to higher education and the legal issues related to human resources.
- Experience establishing collaborative working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and outside constituent groups.
- Ability to prioritize and deal with several tasks concurrently, while maintaining flexibility, high energy, creativity, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a staff where cooperation and teamwork are essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and confidential written information.
- Ability to work independently and to travel by car as needed.
- Ability and willingness to work non-traditional hours on a frequent basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. PHR, SPHR, or Master’s degree in relevant discipline preferred. Proficient use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
- Minimum of 5 years successful Human Resources management experience required. Experience in higher education a plus.
Apply for Director of Human Resources
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly