Nursing Informatics Specialist
Nursing Informatics Specialist-1800976
The Nursing Informatics Specialist (NIS) is a valuable member of the Long Island State Veterans Home’s clinical team who facilitates the development and integration of all information and communication technology systems to support the provision of resident care and care outcomes. The NIS will be project focused and have a strong understanding of the clinical information system requirements. It will be the responsibility of this position to plan, implement, upgrade or modify applications by identifying and understanding the end users’ needs. Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior communication and organizational skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence through the LISVH mission, values and code of conduct. The NIS will support all clinical staff related to our clinical information systems. Under the direction of the Director of Nursing, the duties of the NIS may include but is not limited to the following:
- Collaborates with Nursing Administration and other departments in the development of the standards of practice for effective operations of the clinical documentation systems as wells as other informational systems related to clinical practice and resident care.
- Establishes guidelines for documentation in the Electronic Medical Record, with a focus on standardization and regulatory requirements.
- Define processes and workflow, both current and future.
- Establishes and updates policies and procedures for each department related to Electronic Medical Record as well as other technology used in the clinical areas.
- Participates and at times facilitates the evaluation and selection of communication and information technology to be used in the clinical departments.
- Determines the end user requirements and customize functionality, as able, to meet these requirements.
- Accessible to end users, the NIS will listen and respond to concerns and inquires in a positive and timely manner. Acts as the facilitator between the end users and IT department.
- Ensures that end users participate in the planning, development and implementation of new and updated technology.
- Responsible for the coordination and management of a team of super users.
- Collaborates with the In-Service Education Coordinator to develop and carry out orientation, training, testing and ongoing competencies for their staff members related to the Electronic Medical Record and other technology used in the clinical departments.
- Acts as a role model and a preceptor within his/her role for all staff and student nurses.
- Responsible for effective communications between nursing and other departments related to Electronic Medical Record and other technology related to clinical systems.
- Participates in the Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Program and analysis of data relevant to the quality outcomes. Directs staff in performance improvement activities that improve outcomes, satisfaction and enhances organizational efficiency.
- May participate in research or evaluation in a variety of informatics topics that impacts both caregivers and consumers.
- Participates in annual Department of Health and Veterans Administration Surveys, ensuring the units are in compliance with all Federal and State regulations.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Nursing Informatics or related field, Long Term Care experience, Geriatric or related experience, 1 year or more in a NIS position
Special Notes: The Long Island State Veterans Home is a tobacco-free environment. Tobacco products are strictly prohibited anywhere on our 25-acre campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation; submit three (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s), if applicable. Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer. The LISVH is a 24/7 skilled nursing facility. As such, all positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary to meet the operating needs of the facility. The Long Island State Veterans Home, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot Adult Day Health Care program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and widows, as well as Gold Star Parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative, and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's Heroes every day. STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
Official Job Title: TH Senior Instructional Support Specialist
Job Field: Nursing
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Nursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Schedule: Part-time Day Shift VariableNursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Posting Start Date: May 16, 2018
Posting End Date: May 30, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $85,000 - $95,000 inclusive of location pay
Salary Grade: SL4