Undergraduate Academic Advisor (Entry Level)
University of Colorado Denver
Undergraduate Academic Advisor (Entry Level)
Position #00746499 - Requisition 13645
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Business School has an opening for a full time University Staff (unclassified) Undergraduate Academic Advising position.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support for the teaching and/or educational service mission of the university. Functions include academic advising/counseling, student personnel administration, recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, faculty affairs, library services, curriculum administration, and others involving direct support of the educational mission of an academic unit.
Professionals at the entry level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and development capacity.
Nature of Work:
This full-time staff position reports to the Assistant Director of Advising and provides advising services for the undergraduate students of the Business School. These advising services help those students progress towards obtaining a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration degree. This position is expected to provide excellent customer service when working with our internal and external customers and also develops and promotes outreach activities for enrolled students to retain current students and increase enrolled and graduation numbers. Position is essential to unit's service delivery systems and will serve as the first point of advising for students who have walk-in advising needs.
Reports directly to the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising.
This position will train, supervise and direct tasks for the student hourly positions.
Examples of Work Performed:
- General Advising Duties:
- Advise undergraduate Business School students: provide immediate advising assistance for undergraduate students, determine student needs and evaluate if an appointment is required or if their issue can be resolved immediately, maintain student confidentiality, monitor the graduate process for students to ensure they take the correct courses in the correct sequence to ensure timely graduation, create DATC forms to correct any audit errors based on transfer credits, respond to emails, visits, and phone calls from students in a timely fashion.
- As part of the advising team, conduct orientations for newly admitted students - conduct presentations at those orientation sessions
- Responsible for working with the team of advisors and discipline directors to process petitions, complete waivers, assist with creating and mailing welcome letters, write International Sponsor letters, communicate to students when forms are needed or missing, connect with Early Alert students, and connect with probation students
- As part of the advising team, utilize the SAN system, SSC Campus system, Degree Audit, and other systems on campus to ensure the success of our students; provide input to update shared drive, policy manual, degree plans and degree maps
- Collaborate with the Business School's Career Connections office to create a seamless transition regarding career discussions
- Refer students to appropriate campus resources for assistance with disability services, academic and other college-related concerns
- Disseminates information to students, visitors and advise faculty regarding admissions, records and registration policies and procedures
- Create DATC forms to correct any audit errors based on transfer credits
- Maintains and processes UG catalog changes including website updates for Business School
- Along with other members of the Undergraduate advising team monitor and track student retention and other success benchmarks as needed and assigned
- Assist with events and other learning opportunities that support students in reaching their academic and career goals
- Collaborate with faculty and staff in developing academic success and advising resources including, but not limited to, online and print resources
- Participate in retention activities both inside and outside of the school
- Plan special events to build community among enrolled students
- Other Responsibilities
- Attend and work Graduation ceremonies - student check-in
- Along with the advising team, may be needed to train new advisors and peer advisors regarding the policies and procedures of the unit
- Represent the Business School in various campus committees as needed
- Along with other advisors schedules student advising appointments on campus scheduling platform. Sends communication to students regarding their scheduled appointments
- Receives incoming calls and relays messages to the unit as necessary
- Reviews undergraduate Intra University Transfer applications for Admissions as first point of contact for accuracy and advises students about IUT process.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Team focused
- Ability to speak in front of small or large groups
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work effectively with a diverse population of faculty and staff, various departments, prospective and current students and parents, educators, alumni, industry leaders, donors and individuals at all organizational levels
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, identify and set priorities, meet deadlines and work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to all constituents through a friendly and professional demeanor
- Ability to work some nights and week-ends to fulfill event and retention efforts
- Ability to take direction and also use sound independent judgment
- Commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- A bachelor's degree in education, psychology, business, public administration, health care, educational technology, social science, liberal arts, communications, accounting, finance, library science, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One year of experience in an higher education environment
- Experience working with undergraduate student population
- Knowledge of Business School advising policies
- Experience working with international students
- Demonstrated success working with a CRM, Student Information System, CU SIS, Degree Audit System, and Filemaker
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by May 24, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 24, 2018 may or may not be considered.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30055 - Business School
Posting Date: May 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jessica Olivas
Posting Contact Email: Jessica.Olivas@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00746499