Carpenter & Finisher (Structural Trades II)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Job Title: Carpenter & Finisher (Structural Trades II)
Position #218353 - Requisition #13632
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
Facilities Management has an opening for a full-time State Classified, Carpenter & Finisher (Structural Trades II) position.
This full-time, State Classified Carpenter & Finisher (Structural Trades II) position exists to provide comprehensive demolition, installation, painting and carpentry of construction products.
This position performs carpentry and finishing duties including custom cabinet making, countertops, shelving, wood and metal doors, wood and metal stud walls, ceiling tile and grid, drywall installation, drywall finishing, and painting. This position performs wall covering installation, cove base and ceiling tile for the UCD Campus, and the Anschutz Medical Campus. Demolition responsibilities include the demolition of walls, structures, ceilings and grid, cabinets, countertops, locks, doors, and floors tiles.
This position is essential in providing backup support for Facilities Building Operations Construction Services Crews and must be able to pass a respirator qualification.
Examples of Work Performed:
Carpenter/Drywall Finishing & Repairs (50%)
Carpentry and finishing duties including custom cabinet making, countertops, shelving, wood and metal doors, wood and metal stud walls, ceiling tile and grid, drywall installation, drywall finishing, and painting. This position performs wall covering installation, cove base and ceiling tiles, floor covering, and concrete repairs for the UCD Campus, and the Anschutz Medical Campus.
Repair Work (30%)
Repairs and corrects imperfections in walls and ceilings by creating a smooth surface utilizing plaster, spackle, tapes, and finished with drywall compound and various plaster and ceiling textures, examples: wallpaper, vinyl and cloth. Repairs masonry such as brick, block, sandstone and concrete applications. Pour and finish concrete, examples: sidewalks, retaining walls and machinery concrete pads/slabs. Mixes and tints, paints and sprays walls, ceilings, doors, cabinets, and other surfaces requiring paint, lacquers, and coatings. Sands, stains, primes and prepares wood and metal surfaces.
Job Coordination & Completion (15%)
Coordinate with supervisor, other trades and/or customer regarding specifications, sequencing, requirement and time frames in order to meet deadlines.
Auxiliary Duties (5%)
Participates and assists in emergencies based on the magnitude and nature. Supports various special events both in preparation and during the event (i.e. Commencement). May be assigned other duties as required.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $3,556-$5,056/ month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
- Four years of experience in building maintenance and repair
- Appropriate education or successful completion of a formalized apprenticeship program will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis
- Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application
- Must be willing and able to pass a respirator qualification
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License
- Must be willing and able to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle check and drug test
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Facilities Operations Department Policies
- Must be willing and able to sit, climb and crawl on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to use manual dexterity, eye/hand coordination and near vision on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to kneel and reach above shoulders on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to push and pull on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to stand, walk and bend on a constant basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to use far vision, hearing and verbal communication on a constant basis
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions including snow, rain, heat, and cold
- Must be willing and able to work with chemicals/solvents
- Must be willing and able to work in areas where you may be exposed to hazardous conditions
- Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment and work around machinery or moving equipment
- Must be willing and able to work around noise/vibrations
- Must be willing and able to work alone, above ground and in small confined spaces
- Must be willing and able to walk on uneven surfaces and climb on scaffolds/ladders
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Physical abilities
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates. APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 30th, 2018.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20686 - CSA-AVCFO Const Svc Admin
Posting Date: May 16, 2018
Closing Date: May 30, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Sean McBride
Posting Contact Email: Sean.M.McBride@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00218353