Technology Support Specialist
Under the direction of the Manager of IT User Services, provide technology support to end users through on-site visits, phone calls, and remote desktop assistance for daily hardware/software/telephone system issues. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PC/Mac computer hardware and desktop applications as assigned in a timely and accurate fashion.
The ideal candidate must be a highly motivated, self-directed individual capable of working under pressure within tight time-frames, must possess a high level of initiative and energy, an enthusiasm for learning, the capability to work with minimal supervision, and have a customer service approach to supporting users.
This is a full-time, hourly/non-exempt position. The typical work schedule is Monday through Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., subject to change, based on needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned:
- Accurately document instances of hardware and software failure, requests for service, repair, upgrades, installation, and removal using the help desk software.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software, hardware, and peripheral equipment improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Evaluate and analyze incident reports for reoccurring problems and make recommendations to reduce help desk incidents.
- Develop testing and monitoring procedures for deployment of patches and updates.
- Coordinate changes to the setup or transfer of computers and phones.
- Develop standard operating procedures, improve efficiency, and deploy reusable processes.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all computers, software, and other peripheral equipment.
- Evaluate and recommend hardware/software products for purchase.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of hardware, software, and equipment contracts and maintenance agreements.
- Plan for additional resources as needed and set goals and objectives that align with the College mission.
- Document processes and procedures for special tasks (FAQs, knowledgebase articles, standard operating procedures).
- Provide end user hardware/software support (over the phone, in person, email, and utilizing remote desktop applications).
- Provide scheduled on-call support outside of normal work hours when needed or directed.
- Escalate advanced issues to appropriate IT resource; continually communicate problem status and resolution to end users.
- Complete special projects or other tasks assigned in the agreed upon timeframe and quality manner.
- Use incident management tools (i.e. Help Desk Ticketing System) based on ITIL best practices.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships. Communicate technology solutions in a clear and concise manner.
- Prioritize tasks, stay organized, and make details a high priority.
- Build, package, test, and deploy operating systems, software applications and updates.
- In coordination with system administrator, administer, maintain, and update enterprise level desktop configuration management system.
- Develop and implement Group Policy Objects to control desktop application behavior.
- In coordination with Manager of IT User Services, develop and deliver staff technology training sessions.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and manage student workers and establish student worker schedules and guidelines.
- Work overtime hours as may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to respond promptly to customer needs, solicit customer feedback to improve service, and respond to requests for service and assistance.
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information and collect and research data.
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities using time efficiently.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and work productively despite frequent interruptions.
- Must possess excellent communication skills (orally and in writing) and the ability to effectively work with others.
- Must possess interpersonal skills and maintain professionalism.
- Must possess problem solving skills to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully, develop alternative solutions, and work well in group problem solving situations.
- Must possess a customer satisfaction mentality with the ability to train both inexperienced and experienced users in the use of technology.
- Pursue educational and development opportunities, strive to continuously build knowledge and skills, and share expertise with others.
- Observe safety and security procedures.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in office area as well as throughout the College. Sit at workstation for prolonged periods of time. Stand, bend, and move intermittently during working hours.
- The employee will frequently be required to walk, touch/handle/grasp (using hands and fingers), and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee will frequently be required to lift and install equipment (computers and peripherals) in and around desks and in small places.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to normal office conditions and usual office equipment such as telephone, personal computer, printers/copiers, reports and files, as well as the outside elements at a variety of locations.
- The employee will be required to sit, talk, hear, and type/write.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, far, and field of vision.
- The employee must demonstrate strong attention to detail, and must be able to perform complex tasks without error.
- Active pursuit or possession of an existing IT-related degree required.
- Customer service work experience in supporting technology preferred.
- Work experience in an office or educational environment preferred.
- Experience with operating systems, MS Office applications, hardware, basic networking, mobile devices, and telecommunications understanding preferred.
- Basic understanding of Server and Active Directory structure preferred.
- Basic knowledge of scripting (batch files, vbscript, Powershell) preferred.
The typical starting pay range is $20.39 - $22.17 per hour, commensurate with education and experience. Position includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply online at nicoletcollege.edu. Attach a cover letter that addresses how your background and experience are consistent with the requirements of the position, a current resume, and unofficial transcripts of coursework. Applications received by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30, 2018, will be reviewed.
Nicolet Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities.