Production Support Technician (Part - Time)
Job ID: 24566
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Code: 1617
Department: Film and Theatre
Classification: Instructional Support Technician II
Salary Range: $3,748/month - $6,390/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This position is a part-time (0.5 FTE) benefited position.*
Reporting to the Chair of the Film and Theatre Department (F&T) and taking work lead direction from the F&T Operations Equipment Specialist, the Production Support Technician (PST) is responsible for supervising and facilitating the checkout and returns of professional film and video production equipment, including high-end film and video cameras, lighting, sound, projectors and grip equipment, used for classroom project-based instruction, Summer Feature/Shorts, special projects, student organization projects and faculty driven projects. The PST is responsible for performing general routine maintenance and troubleshooting on equipment and maintaining an accurate inventory of all equipment. The PST oversees and directs the use and general upkeep of the TV studio, sound labs and all editing suites. The PST will create and administer the Equipment Checkout Room procedures, protocols and set hours of operation, inform students and faculty on equipment availability and recommend alternatives as appropriate. The PST will research, recommend and order (with approval), needed equipment, parts and supplies, which enhances the F&T curriculum. The PST will create tutorial videos or perform live tutorials, conduct demonstrations and write how-to manuals on the proper use and handling of all production equipment. The PST supervises, schedules, directs, and trains various Checkout Room student employees.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise and facilitate the checking out and returns of professional film and video production equipment, such as high-end film and video cameras, lighting, sound, projectors and grip equipment. Perform general routine maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment.
- Create tutorials videos or perform live tutorials, demonstrations and how-to manuals on the proper use and handling of all production equipment.
- Research and recommend needed equipment, parts and supplies, which enhances the F&T curriculum.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which assigned. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in film or video production
- 5 years or more in the technical and operational functions of equipment and facilities for film and video production
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the use and proper operation of current professional and industrial film and video production equipment.
- Ability to stay current with changing technology in the film and video production environment.
- Thorough knowledge of typical packages and setups for film and video productions.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and performs routine maintenance.
- Excellent customer service skills and public relations skills.
- Ability to work with people who have limited technical knowledge (such as students).
- Ability to maintain and set work schedules and track work hours of employees.
- Ability to work collegially and respectfully in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Ability to create, write, maintain, and distribute accurate, logical and succinct procedures, protocols and documents for students, staff and faculty.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize spaces and keep the technology operational.
- Knowledge of current audio and video editing software such as Pro Tools, Premier and Avid Media Composer.
- Ability to continue to master new tools as they are created and released.
- Ability to create presentations (e.g. YouTube/PowerPoint/Keynote) and written manuals for instructional purposes.
- Knowledge of vendors for film and video equipment and supplies.
- Ability to make online orders and create purchase orders and to keep accurate records of all expenditures.
- Assist with various technology needs of the F&T Department and the College of Humanities and the Arts.
May 16, 2018
Application Screening begins June 8, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046