Job ID: 24570
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0440
Department: Network Services
Classification: Equipment Systems Specialist - Career
Salary Range: $3,388/month - $6,357/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Network Services Director, the Cable Technician is responsible for installing the University's network infrastructure to include the copper, fiber, and other telecommunications media and associated equipment. The Cable Technician is responsible for the installation of Systimax cabling systems and associated network infrastructure equipment, alarm systems, and assists in the installation of telecommunication equipment. Working independently under general supervision, the Cable Technician coordinates and ensures proper operation of telephone, cable and alarm systems for the university.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
This position will apply campus information security policy and standards to ensure security models and frameworks are maintained.
Provides support for network layer 1, cost effective, infrastructure solutions that allow for infrastructure growth:
* Assists in planning designs for telecommunications infrastructure, which includes outside plant cable and cable pathways. All infrastructure designs must comply with CSU, SJSU, and Systimax/ Commscope standards. Infrastructure designs must allow for future growth for in-house or contracted installations
* Performs physical installation of inter and intra building copper, fiber and coax cable on an as needed basis.
* Performs the work in-house and works with outside vendors.
* Read blueprints to perform work that adheres to Systimax/ Commscope, SJSU, and CSU standards.
* Provides hands-on coordination of installation and maintenance of network, voice, video, telepresence, and computing equipment.
* Provides hands-on maintenance of voice services.
Provide support for campus safety systems:
* Install, manage and support safety phones on campus
* Install, manage and support blue light phones
* Install, manage and support UPD public safety system
Performs implementation of multiple and concurrent campus-wide projects:
* Ensures that all work performed both in-house and by vendors, adheres to Systimax/ Commscope, CSU, and SJSU standards.
* Performs quality inspections as part of work performed by vendors.
Supports network infrastructure standards, including identification of hardware and media products to be used:
* Maintains personal and professional knowledge of National Building Codes and industry standards
* Closely adheres to Systimax/ Commscope cabling standards in order to ensure proper installation of cable and adherence to the terms of company warranty
Education and Experience
Associate's Degree in telecommunications, electronics, industrial technology, or a related field and three years of progressively responsible experience. Equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be also considered.
Experience with CAT 5, Se and Cat 6 installations
Experience with Installation and splicing of Fiber cable
Experience with planning designs for telecommunications infrastructure.
Experience with Systimax/Commscope
Experience with underground infrastructure
Valid Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices in network design, topology, systems interface, and protocols to meet support requirements for cabling.
- Working knowledge of CAT 5, Se and Cat 6 installation specs.
- Ability to manipulate and transport switches, patch cables, and other network equipment.
- Strong troubleshooting and communication skills.
- Ability to compose appropriately formatted correspondence and reports.
- Working knowledge of software applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to lead students, handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Must possess excellent customer service, public relations and team skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cross train other team members and effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work and respond to customer needs in the development of appropriate networking system solutions and coordinate ongoing administration and maintenance of network services.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply policies and procedures and adhere to Systimax/Commscope cabling standards.
- Ability to attain and maintain a valid CA Driver's License.
May 16, 2018
Application Screening begins May 31, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046