The Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP) is seeking a Director of Partnerships and Engagement. Reporting to the Executive Director and in collaboration with the leadership team, the Director of Partnerships and Engagement will provide strategic direction for TIP's efforts to increase its engagement with students, families, schools, and other key stakeholders.
The director will manage and oversee the outreach, marketing, and customer service divisions, which communicate with over 400,000 students, and families who participate in TIP, as well as over 10,000 educators and key stakeholders who help identify and enroll students in TIP.
Aligned with TIP's strategic plan, this new position is charged with strategically expanding our outreach methods in order to increase and diversify the students we serve.
The director will also lead TIP's efforts to provide more guidance to our students and families as they move from being identified by the Talent Search to participating in our programming. As a member of the executive leadership team, this role will play an integral role in key decision making across the organization. If you are interested in this position, please submit your application via the DUKE HR Career site prior to the close of the position on June 10, 2018.
Work Performed:Strategy Development and Implementation - 30%
- Direct TIP's outreach, marketing, and customer service teams with a focus on helping TIP meet its strategic goals, while increasing TIP's engagement with its students,families and communities.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive strategy for effectively implementing TIP's goals for the division.
- This newly formed division will work together to recruit,diversify, increase, and support our pipeline of talent-search and program students and families.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with schools, Duke and partner university sites, and community-based organizations to assist in the successful implementation of the division's goals.
- Work with the director of finance and administration to plan departmental budget needs by analyzing program plans on both a short-term and long-term basis.
- Review and analyze operational and financial reports setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations.
- Liaise with TIP research team to evaluate the success of the division's efforts, including assisting with surveys, reviewing the results, making suggestions to improve activities, sharing results with key stakeholders, and providing feedback for proposals and reports.
- Partner with TIP alumni engagement team to establish effective strategies for maintaining relationships with TIP alumni through opportunities to engage with the division.
- Advise TIP Executive Director on matters related to the division and other organization-based decisions as a member of the TIP executive committee.
- Participate in thought leadership, innovation and creativity, while maintaining current knowledge of trends in education, outreach, and access with an emphasis on how to engage and support gifted students and families.
- Direct the coordination of administrative and operational duties within the TIP outreach,marketing, and customer service divisions.
- The division includes: o In-house marketing team who provides expertise in communications,design, video, and writing, led by the director of marketing and communications.o Customer service representatives who answer over 60,000 calls annually, led by the office manager.o Outreach team who travel locally and nationally to increase the awareness of TIP, led by the director of outreach.o Project Launch Coordinator focused on serving students from low-income backgrounds.
- Supervise and coordinate tasks and work processes of 18+ professional and support staff members at TIP, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, and scheduling to ensure that the services are effectively implemented.
- Liaise with parents, families, and educators to gather suggestions and resolve concerns related to the division.
- Collaborate with TIP operational divisions (IT, human resources, and finance) to utilize IT systems and complete financial processes related to implementing outreach and engagement services.
- Partner with TIP program and enrollment staff to ensure that the division's processes are aligned with TIP's mission, values, and goals, and promote TIP opportunities to students from diverse backgrounds.
- Maintain liaison with appropriate university personnel and outside organizations to coordinate divisional business, accomplish directives and facilitate the resolution of problems.
- Serve as a representative of Duke TIP in various on and off-campus activities including standing and adhoc university committees and professional organizations.
- Represent Duke TIP in meetings, conferences, and other events.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described as assigned.
- Commitment to Duke TIP's mission; ability to lead the implementation of partnerships and engagement goals; excellent oral and written communication skills; high level of creativity, initiative, and motivation; team orientation; willingness to set an example for influential leadership;and ability and willingness to travel.
- Demonstrated ability to manage to an outcomes-based approach; proven experience in outreach,mobilization, and developing and using data to inform continuous improvement and decision-making; proven record of accomplishment of exceeding goals; and evidence of the ability to make strategic decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment.
- Proven leadership and success in outreach and building partnerships at the individual, community, and organizational levels.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the demonstrated ability to engage students and families from diverse communities.
- Must be able to communicate professionally and provide positive customer service to students, parents,staff, educators, and university contacts
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and issues on a daily basis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
2842 DIR, TIP
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work generally requires a Master's degree in Education or related field.
The position generally requires a master's degree or equivalent experience in education, counseling, or related field.
Work requires a minimum of 8 years of experience in K-12 education or program management, including a minimum of 5 years of administrative management and supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience. Experience working with gifted and talented students and families from diverse backgrounds preferred.
Highly preferred: 10+years of professional experience in outreach and engagement, including direct experience working in or with schools and community-based organizations. In addition, s/he will have 5+ years of administrative management and supervisory experience with full-time staff.Experience with communications and public relations preferred.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.