MiCCOM Managing Director
Hyde Park Campus
34465 Inst For Molecular Engineering
About the Unit
The Institute for Molecular Engineering (IME), established in 2011 by the University of Chicago in partnership with Argonne National Laboratory, is a transformational academic unit exploring the intersection of science and engineering. IME explores innovative technologies that address fundamental societal problems through advances in nanoscale manipulation and design on a molecular scale. IME is the largest new academic program that the University has started since 1988.
The MiCCOM Managing Director position will prepare and edit website content, technical reports, scientific publications, teaching materials, and grant applications.
- 75% Scientific Editing - Electronically copy edit manuscripts, research proposals, figures, web pages, graphics, figures, and scientific presentations for English grammar, clarity, accuracy, and conformity to style of journal, funding agency, website, or internal university document. Performs grant and manuscript proposal preparations, review, and submission, as well as preparation of reports, including annual progress reports and correspondence with funding agencies and academic journals. Use data collection tools and databases to gather information and data sets related to research projects and/or proposals. Frequently gather information from research groups within the University and collate for website and annual report. Ensure website remains up-to-date and regularly review content with faculty. Coordinate with faculty, students, postdoctoral scholars, senior scientists and research associates, and technical staff to achieve these goals efficiently. Liaises with publishers to ensure successful paper and electronic submission processes.
- 25% Lab Administrative Support - In collaboration with the PSD Lab Safety Specialist and Faculty PIs, monitors compliance with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates within assigned labs. Coordinates initial orientation for new postdoc researchers, students, and other research staff in assigned labs; approves UChicago Time records for research staff. Maintains lab inventory and orders supplies, including research hardware and software. Oversees procurement and the processing of reimbursements for PI and research group. May coordinate arrangements for events such as research seminars, conferences, and meetings, including guest arrangements; oversee and reconcile budget (through vendor selection, budget projections, and general checks and balances within the budget) for workshops and events. Other duties as assigned.
- High attention to detail and follow-up, and excellent organizational skills required.
- Strong verbal and writing skills required.
- Attention to detail required.
- An exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative required.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and decision-making skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills required.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required.
- Ability to work well independently as well as with a team and prioritize work required.
- Ability to master new material and to adapt to changes in workflow and requirements required.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style preferred.
- Knowledge of basic accounting preferred.
Education, Experience or Certification:
- Master's Degree
- Ph.D. Degree is preferred
- Knowledge of standard editing and proofreading marks required.
- A minimum of 2 years of related work experience is preferred.
- Experience with website design, Adobe Illustrator, and website maintenance preferred.
- Experience coordinating multi-author projects/articles/grants and communicating with authors and/or publishers a strong plus.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Strong technical skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to travel to and from University Offices
- Cover Letter
- 3 References
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/