Position Number: 10042585
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 05/29/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Groundskeeper. The Groundskeeper will be responsible for basic landscape, hardscape, and other grounds related maintenance work in a University environment. Considered essential personnel during emergency events.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Groundskeeper duties include:
- Physically demanding manual labor consisting of lawn care, flower and shrub planting and maintenance, snow & ice removal and treatment.
- Digging, spraying, edging, mowing and operate basic landscape equipment (walk-behind lawn mowers, edgers, chainsaws, weed eaters, and bush trimmers).
- Perform preventative maintenance of assigned equipment.
- Event set-up and breakdown support.
- Other duties as assigned, including building or property maintenance support as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to operate basic landscape machinery and power tools
- Must be able to perform preventive maintenance on equipment
- Must be able to understand and follow specific oral and written instruction
- Must have the ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time, often in adverse weather condition
- Must be able to work at heights up to 40 feet, execute work requiring bending and reaching overhead, lift up to 50 pounds, and climbing ladders of varying sizes
- Follow safety procedures and work in a safe manner.Able to operate small hand tools; Balancing; Bending Over; Carrying; Climb up and down ladder; Climb up onto and down from equipment. Crawling; Crouching; Eye/hand coordination; Grasping; Hazards such as electrical, chemical, biological; Hearing; Inside/outside environmental factors; Kneeling; Constant, heavy, constant lifting; Moving; Pulling; Pushing; Reaching; Reaching Overhead; Repetitive use of hands/arms; Repetitive use of legs; Sitting; Standing; Stooping; Talking; Twisting; Walking (include distance); ability to work heights up to 60 feet using man lifts and ladders; operate vehicles; trucks; golf carts. Ability to operate power tools, large landscape machinery and heavy equipment. Must be able to perform preventive maintenance on equipment. Must be able to understand and follow specific oral and written instruction. Must have the ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time, often in adverse weather conditions.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- High School graduate, GED
- Grounds/landscaping experience preferred
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.This position will require a background check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.