The Manager, Advising, directs and implements academic advising strategies for all majors in support of their academic progress. Acts as a liaison between the Office of Academic Services and current/prospective students and other university departments.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean, Student/Post-Graduate Support Services, the Manager, Advising oversees the operations of undergraduate academic advising for the School of Communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management: Oversees undergraduate academic advising for all majors at the School of Communication. Creates schedules for initial advising of new, transfer and returning students. Ensures staff have accurate information on University and School policies and programs, provides guidance and interpretation of policies as they pertain to applicants, current students and alumni. Reviews and approves transfer student equivalencies and placement.
- Advising: Monitors academic progress of students, analyzes progress reports from instructors, determines eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree, identifies current and potential needs or problem areas (study skills, tutoring) and refers students to appropriate campus resources for assistance, and communicates findings to coaches and administrators. Advises students on course selection and requirements for area of concentration. Assesses the student's stage of development (academic and career) and promotes student growth by assisting students' in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Strategy: Identifies problems and initiates appropriate action/advising as needed. Assists in the development of recruiting strategy. Plans and coordinates application and recruitment events. Collects, produces and evaluates reports using CaneLink, Data Warehouse, SSC Campus and other tracking systems to conduct admissions, enrollment, retention and recruitment analysis. Assists leadership in developing strategies to address student retention issues.
- Assists the Assistant Dean and senior administration in reporting and analysis of statistical data and preparation of data for accreditation, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five (5) years of related work experience.
- Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered.
- Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>