The Desktop Support Specialist provides triage, diagnostic, and troubleshooting technical support services, related to clinical and business applications and operating systems, to ensure enterprise-wide networks and peripherals are functioning properly. This employee collaborates with project management, network services, and application development to identify requirements and resolutions to incidences.
Core Job Functions
1. Creates and manages escalated trouble tickets to maintain data integrity.
2. Uses various applications to research and resolve incidences.
3. Coordinates with team members on projects and issues.
4. Creates and manages documentation and procedure.
5. Communicates project status to management.
6. Provides front end support and maintenance of the applications and modules used within the organization.
7. Conducts one-on-one training of end users for specialty applications.
8. Assists internal and external customers, end users, and patients in accessing the most appropriate application functions for their needs.
9. Informs users of base requirements to meet troubleshooting needs.
10. Supports the design and system configuration for dedicated specialty portals and email accounts.
11. Routes prescription, patient advices requests, and duplicate patient account issues to the appropriate department pool or party.
12. Validates that physicians are grouped in the correct department pools.
13. Provides guidance and backup to technical support specialists and other relevant staff.
14. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Duties specific to the College of Arts and Sciences:
• Perform diagnostic evaluations and addresses problems with infrastructure,
hardware, operating systems, software and configurations.
• Manage and supervise the daily operation and maintenance of the department’s
computers, including configuring and managing hard drive images and configuration.
• Installation of new hardware and software.
• Purchase, install and update software and hardware. Determine lead-times and changes in availability and communicate to appropriate personnel.
• Research and recommend new products to increase efficiency.
• Adhere to UMIT security policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Maintain inventory of departmental assets.
• Install, test and support lab 3D printers and CNC Bot hardware and software.
• Hire, schedule and train student, computer lab monitors and ensure that their
assignments are carried out in a satisfactory manner. Establish rules and regulations
and hours for using the labs with the approval of the faculty and Department Chair.
• Manage and maintain Smart classroom AV and computer equipment. Check the labs daily to ensure working order.
• Check the labs daily to ensure they contain the equipment, software and furniture needed for classes or events scheduled for that day.
• Administer, configure, test and deploy disk images using Apple StudioDeploy.
• Perform scheduled maintenance including installing software and OS patches and
Updates using Munki software management tools.
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required.
• Minimum five years of relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
• Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
• Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
• Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
• Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
• Commitment to the University’s core values.
• Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
• Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
• Ability to work in a management/helpdesk environment.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with conflicting deadlines.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P00016605
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>