San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800052
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$49,287 - $60,078 Annual Salary (Range 75: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2017-2018, effective July1, 2018). Starting placement is generally at Step 1. A 5% night shift differential will be added to the salary.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
The Lead Custodian reports to the Custodial Supervisor at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 6:00 p.m. - 2:30 a.m. and Friday; 2:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Reporting to a Custodial Supervisor or assigned administrator, the Lead Custodian oversees a group of custodians assigned in performing routine and specialized cleaning tasks within pre-assigned areas, and performs special and emergency assignments as needed in addition to regular custodial work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform full range of functions and responsibilities assigned to Custodians. Assist supervisor with daily operations such as performing safety inspections, managing surplus property, coordinating special events/work orders, working with vendors, setting up and tearing down equipment for special projects, and filling in for supervisor in his/her absence. Operate, maintain and/or service a variety of specialized equipment related to custodial operations, some of which may require specialized certification and compliance training. Such equipment may include suction vacuums, sweepers, floor buffers and strippers, auto scrubbers; and may install switches, brushes, electrical cords, etc. Employ correct handling, storage and disposal techniques for all hazardous substances, materials and chemicals related to all custodial requirements; implement safety precautions associated with the use of toxic materials; assist supervisor in coordinating proper staff training in utilization of proper protective gear and equipment as needed. Prepare campus facility for daily operations such as opening gates, building access doors, etc. for the purpose of ensuring campus facilities are operational and safe for occupancy. Respond to immediate safety and/or operational concerns such as facility damage, alarms, graffiti etc., take appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues, and maintain a functioning educational environment. Secure facilities and grounds to minimize property damage, equipment loss and potential liability to the District. Operate manual sprayers for insecticides inside buildings. Operate District vehicles such as a flatbed truck, a manual transmission moving van and other vans, station wagons, dump truck, gas and electric forklifts. Test new products and equipment and report (oral or written) on results. Use materials such as cleaning products, chemicals, floor finishes and stripers, insecticides and pesticides. Carry portable radio or cell phone and be on-call for general custodial duties anywhere on campus. Observe and report conditions which may indicate vandalism, illegal entry or fire hazard. Assist in compiling District property inventories. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Coordinate and prioritize the day-to-day work of a group of custodians; ensure that work is completed in a timely manner and in accordance with instructions; and communicate issues to supervisor that may cause or are causing poor performance.
- In coordination with supervisor, may contact and assign work to substitute employees or may re-assign custodial staff to cover work areas where needed.
- Respond to requests for emergency custodial needs and furniture or equipment setups and coordinate special work as required.
- Provide lead direction to ensure all major cleaning, daily detailed cleaning, and projects are completed on schedule in area of responsibility; inspect and review the work of assigned group.
- Order supplies for special events/projects and ensure that custodians start the workday with supplies, equipment, and tools necessary to accomplish job tasks.
- Assist in the training custodians in proper cleaning methods and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Use and operation of electrical and mechanical hand tools. Safe Operation and use of power driven equipment, including light truck, moving van, forklifts. Operation, use, and maintenance of wet and dry vacuum machines, low and high speed floor machines, rotary and “steam” carpet shampoo machines, high pressure “steam” cleaners, and power driven sweepers. Operation and maintenance of hand sprayers for insecticides. Safe and proper method for using hazardous cleaning materials.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and oversee the work of custodial staff. Exercise judgment in carrying out assigned tasks without detailed instructions. Train assigned staff on use of cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety. Perform heavy sustained physical labor requiring lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds. Read, comprehend, and follow oral and written instructions specified in English, including Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Safely operate custodial power driven equipment and floor cleaning machines and equipment. Safely work on scaffolding and ladders at heights up to 30 feet. Work in areas that may require use of respirator or protective clothing. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective work relationships with others. Use basic computer applications (e.g. email, word, and excel) to communicate and to prepare/maintain written materials and records.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
Licenses and Certificates:
1. Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s license.
2. Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid Forklift Operator Certificate.
3. Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid Aerial Lift Operator Certificate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
2. Three years of experience in custodial or janitorial work with evidence of increasing responsibility over the work of others.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable
1. Indoor, office environment and outdoor environment with climate changes.
2. Hazardous conditions.
3. Exposure to pollen, dust particles, chemicals, and fumes.
4. Includes travel to conduct work.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities