Associate Director, Centennial Events
This is a temporary benefits eligible full-time position scheduled to work through December 2019.
The Associate Director leads the Event Management staff in developing, planning and executing a first-class Centennial experience for guests, donors, and alumni. Specifically responsible for working closely with the Managing Director of the Centennial Office to execute major events, centennial events, and donor events; as well as providing strategy and programming of all Centennial events.
• Independently plans, executes, and provides on-site leadership for Centennial and Development programs and events.
• Organizes, manages, and coordinates logistical details for Centennial and Development events and oversees execution. In collaboration with the Director, assigns development event support to Assistant Directors.
• Responsible for planning and coordinating details pertaining to Development and Centennial events, including donor dinners, President's Society, and Stewardship events, as required.
• In conjunction with the Managing Director of the Centennial office, develops and executes strategy and program plan for all centennial events.
• Works with all clients, vendors, and service providers, as assigned, to define scope and requirements for programs and events (on and off campus).
• Initiates benchmarking with other academic institutions who have celebrated milestones.
• Manages budget, assess financial implications, and effectively negotiates event costs/contracts. Produces reports as appropriate for trend analysis.
• Attends and oversees programs and events conducted by others in the office to insure that program needs and objectives are met. Act as a college representative at all times.
• Initiates event briefings prior to each event for Advancement staff.
• Debriefs with Advancement team and assistant director's post events, to include final event reporting, and opportunities for continuous improvement.
• Travels to events with the development staff as necessary.
• Provides secondary support in the planning of Commencement and other major college events as required.
• Assumes additional responsibilities as required.Education Requirements:
Minimum Level of Education Required Bachelor's Degree
Position Knowledge/Skills & Abilities Requirements:
• A minimum of 6-8 years of increasingly responsible experience in events management.
• Ability to establish creditability and confidence with stakeholders
• Must have demonstrated effectiveness in working with a diverse student body, faculty, staff, and other constituents
• Must have excellent leadership, motivational, and supervisory skills
• Must have a high attention to detail
• Must have experience in project planning – meeting deadlines, adherence to schedules
• Must have previous experience leading others including colleague service providers from other areas
• Ability to work independently, with an ability to analyze and respond to problems
• Must have strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
• Ability to embrace ideas and changes created by all community members.
• Ability to envision and propose new methods to perform tasks that support ET&A; take thoughtful risks; and accept new and ongoing initiatives, objectives, and solutions to gain sought-after results.
• Ability to anticipate and embrace change; demonstrate willingness to achieve, acquire, and utilize new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
• This is a temporary position.
• Must have had a valid unrestricted U.S. Driver's License for one year, and maintain throughout employment an insurable (as determined by the College's insurer's criteria) or a satisfactory driving record; must successfully complete and pass the College's vehicle training program within the first 60 days of employment; annual or more frequent review of employee's driving record based on the College insurer's criteria; and safety training as required by management.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
• Evening and weekend work required.