Assistant Director for Student Organizations
Assistant Director for Student Organizations
University of San Francisco
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Associate Director, the Assistant Director for Student Organizations provides oversight for undergraduate student organization registration, orientation, administration, budgeting and funding, training/development, adjudication, travel, events, and activities. The Assistant Director provides advisory support for media and performing arts organizations including Graphics Center, Foghorn, USFtv, ASUSF College Players, and ASUSF Voices. In addition, the Assistant Director coordinates Involvement Fairs and other outreach efforts to provide information and resources about involvement and engagement opportunities to all undergraduate and graduate students.
As a member of the larger staff in Student Life, the Assistant Director collaborates and cooperates to create leadership and intercultural competence opportunities to support student learning and development in the Jesuit Catholic tradition. The mission of Student Life is to fully support holistic student development within a social justice framework centered in preparing students to be caring, socially responsible citizens in our global and local community.
Student Organization Development and Oversight:
- Provide oversight for undergraduate student organization administration to ensure compliance with University policies. Organize and facilitate the student organization registration and orientation process, including the process to form new organizations. Conduct academic/judicial checks and track completion of all requirements for organizations to remain in good standing, facilitating an adjudication process when required.
- Manage the financial resources and activities of student organizations including financial accounts, fundraising, and expenditures. Coordinate the establishment of new financial accounts and the development of online payment systems for registered student organizations.
- Manage resources for registered student organizations including mailboxes, copy cards, and email and webpage requests. Provide updated lists for access to registered student organization benefits, such as free room reservations through Events Management and Guest Services, free ads in the Foghorn student newspaper, free design through the Graphics Center, and eligibility to apply for funding.
- Coordinate training modules and resources for student organizations focused on leadership, organizational, and financial development. Edit and revise student organization resource materials for department website. Promote OrgSync online database and/or similar applications as tools for organizational development, communication, and recruitment.
- Supervise five (5) undergraduate student organization consultants who assist with student organization services, involvement outreach, and resources. Supervise two (2) undergraduate accounting assistants who assist with processing financial transactions, tracking activity, and providing reports.
Associated Students Operating Budget Oversight:
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director for Student Government, provide oversight for the allocation process for financial resources of the Associated Students of the University of San Francisco (ASUSF) including an annual budget of over $1 million dollars generated through the undergraduate Student Activity Fee. Oversee the reconciliation of funds spent in alignment with the allocated budget.
- Support the development of budgets for ASUSF Support Services. Manage disbursements for ASUSF Support Services, ASUSF Development Funding, and ASUSF Events Funding.
Student Organization Advising:
- Provide advisory support to the Graphics Center, Foghorn student newspaper, and USFtv. Collaborate with Office of Communication and Marketing, Media Studies Department, and College of Arts and Sciences to support development and training. Assist officers with management of production schedules, equipment, office space, waiver forms, and other logistics. Advise officers on the development of content that reflects the mission of the University. Provide fiscal oversight for the budget.
- Provide advisory support to ASUSF College Players and ASUSF Voices. Collaborate with the Department of Performing Arts and College of Arts and Sciences to develop appropriate performance schedules, space reservations, and use of shared resources. Advise officers on the development of performances that reflect the mission of the University. Provide fiscal oversight for the budget.
- Provide advisory support to the ASUSF Senate, specifically the Finance Committee, regarding funding eligibility guidelines, application forms, review processes, and award notifications.
Student Involvement Outreach:
- Conduct outreach to undergraduate students to encourage involvement in student organizations and other engagement opportunities. Coordinate logistics for Fall and Spring Involvement Fairs. Conduct outreach to prospective and incoming students to match them with student organizations of interest.
- Provide oversight for outreach to and coordination of undergraduate student organizations planning large campus-wide events to ensure appropriate date selection and space reservations, proper submission of funding proposals, and optimized marketing efforts.
- Provide general advisement for students regarding involvement opportunities, event planning, benefits and requirements, organizational development, leadership development, fundraising, and financial procedures.
- Participate in department/division activities including meetings, retreats, and staff development.
- Collaborate with professional colleagues at other university and educational organizations to share information for the purpose of enhancing content and delivery of department programs, services, and resources to students.
- Participate on or chair committees, task forces, and special projects as requested by the Director or the Assistant Vice Provost for Student Engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s Degree in higher education administration or related field is preferred. Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum two years experience in student activities/campus life required.
- Proven competence in managing student organization administration.
- Demonstrated ability to advise individual students and student groups.
- Experience facilitating workshops.
- Experience in budget planning and maintenance.
- Proven oral and written skills.
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an urban, multicultural environment.
- Experience in student engagement and leadership at a private institution preferred.
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the mission of a Jesuit Catholic institution.
- Commitment to creating relationships across the University to develop collaborative programs and services.
- Available to participate in evening and weekend activities and programs.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
For information on how to apply, please visit the following link: www.usfjobs.com
The University of San Francisco is an equal opportunity institution of higher education. As a matter of policy, the University does not discriminate in employment, educational services and academic programs on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age (except minors), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related and genetic-related) and disability, and the other bases prohibited by law. The University reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities under the law.