First-Year Experience Instructor
Job Description Summary
Florida Polytechnic University is seeking a motivated, creative, conscientious and organized individual to serve as the coordinator/instructor for its first-year experience course, Academic and Professional Skills. As part of the Foundations Sequence of courses, the Academic and Professional Skills course serves to acclimate new students to Florida Polytechnic University by introducing effective tools and develop skills appropriate to a rigorous STEM education and integrate them with career planning strategies.
- Provide instruction for multiple sections of the one-credit hour first-year experience course each academic year
- Deliver in a student receptive manner the knowledge, skills, and experiences each student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as outlined in the course syllabus
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated time
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines
- Coordinate delivery of foundations sequence courses, which includes two, semester-long one-credit freshman courses (possible instructional role in second course of sequence, depending on qualifications)
- Collaborate with the Foundations Sequence leadership team on continuous improvement of course content, delivery, and related support
- Coordinate the development, administration, gathering, and analysis of assessment data at the course and program level in collaboration with appropriate faculty and the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Develop student Teaching Assistant/mentor program, including hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of student TAs
- Advise on the hiring of Part time instructors
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study that enhances the individual’s ability to support new STEM students’ transition to academic life in our university
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with undergraduates, with at least 3 years directly related to first year experience programs
- Experience in designing and teaching first year college courses especially for science and engineering students
- Excellent ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, with a wide range of on-campus constituencies
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of first year initiatives, their purpose and approaches
- Appropriate technical facility to support foundational skills in a range of STEM disciplines.
- Demonstrated innovation in first year experience programming
- Demonstrated ability to track and assess the impact of a program
- Experience successfully managing and training others, especially college-age students
- Excellent intercultural skills
Submit a CV and cover letter expressing qualifications and experience as they pertain to the description. Unofficial transcripts should be included with application. Official transcripts will be required prior to start date.