Instructor-AMC Genetic Counselor
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Instructor - Genetic Counselor
Now hiring for a full-time Genetic Counselor to provide clinical cancer risk assessment/genetic counseling in the Cancer Center and Hereditary Cancer Clinic. The position is offered through the (Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, Colorado. The position will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure.
The clinic is a premier source of clinical genetic services for both clinical service and research projects in our state and region. As part of a team including 4 genetic counselors, oncologists and gastroenterologists. The Genetic Counselor works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team. Role model professionalism through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Examples of work performed includes the following job specific duties and responsibilities:
- Providing cancer risk assessments to patients;
- Conducting in-person genetic counseling sessions;
- Pedigree creation using Progeny software;
- Coordinating genetic testing and dissemination of results.
- Assisting patients in obtaining appropriate medical management from their health care providers.
- Consult in an oncology team as a genetics specialist for newly diagnosed patients in Cancer Center clinics;
- Attend a variety of specialty tumor boards;
- Supervise genetic counseling graduate students;
- Enhance the Hereditary Cancer Clinic through educational outreach to grow demand for patient services and to grow the clinic into a genetic resource for the state and region; and to provide genetic expertise for Cancer Center researchers.
- Performs other duties as required and/or requested based on the needs of the patient, clinic and department.
- Graduate with a Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling is required.
- Board Eligible or Certified in Genetic Counseling
- Must have completed at least one clinical rotation in a Hereditary Cancer Clinic, under the supervision of a Board Certified Cancer Genetic Counselor
- A valid driver's license and automobile insurance is required.
- Demonstrates ability to work both independently and cooperatively with a team reflecting positive behaviors toward patients, families, physicians, and all clinical and research staff. Responds to customers of all age groups in a friendly, prompt, and caring manner while maintaining confidentiality. Promotes mutual respect and professionalism.
- Strong critical thinking organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Seeking a self-starter and ability to troubleshoot issues on their own.
- A must-have for patient care: excellent verbal communication telephone skills.
- Preferred experience in cancer genetic counseling specialty
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 13616
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: May 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745655