10003580 Accounting, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty
The Undergraduate School
Location: Killeen, TX
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach, on site in the United States in the Accounting program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following courses:
ACCT 220 - Principles of Accounting I: An introduction to the basic theory and techniques of contemporary financial accounting. The objective is to identify the fundamental principles of accounting, identify and analyze business transactions, prepare financial statements, and communicate this information to users with different needs. Topics include the accounting cycle, transactions, and the preparation of financial statements for merchandisers.
ACCT 221 - Principles of Accounting II: Further study of contemporary accounting practices, with an emphasis on financial and managerial accounting. The goal is to identify and analyze business transactions, define the characteristics of business entities, identify the interdependency of financial statements, employ managerial accounting techniques, and communicate this information to users with different needs. Financial accounting topics include job order and process costing, cost-volume-profit analysis, and budgets.
ACCT 301 - Accounting for Nonaccounting Managers: A survey of accounting principles relevant in making business decisions on the basis of financial information. The aim is to apply critical thinking skills and ethical principles to accounting issues. Topics include internal controls, financial reporting, analysis of financial statements, and elements of managerial accounting and budgeting.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning
- 6 or more years of professional experience in Accounting or a related field
- 3 or more years of teaching experience, online and in person
- Certification such as the CPA, CIA, CISA, or CFE
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education is strongly preferred
- Stateside Location Specific: This position is specifically to teach in Killeen, TX as well as online
Materials needed for submission
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation/ degree evaluation from WES, AACRAO or IERF
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMUC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Accounting program at UMUC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: http://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/accounting-major.cfm
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMUC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.