International Advising Specialist - International Student and Scholar Services ( A1800299 )
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois International Programs
International Student and Scholar Services
International Advising Specialist
12 months, 100% position
Provide advising support to international students and/or scholars on matters related to immigration and visa regulations, and acclimation to the university and community environments. Places a special emphasis on expertise in immigration advising, related University policies and procedures, and the provision of specialized programs and workshops for international students, scholars and University staff to disseminate information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advise students and/or faculty, staff, and scholars on immigration and visa regulations and university procedures related to immigration status.
• Coordinate and provide training opportunities for University faculty, staff, and departmental contacts on procedures and regulations.
• Conduct ongoing workshops for international students and/or scholars in specialized areas such as curricular and optional practical training, academic training, international travel procedures, and new scholar check-in and validation.
• Process the results of data extractions from the University database, ISSS database, and Homeland Security's SEVIS system. Identify students and scholars requiring specialized follow-up in order to maintain valid immigration status and comply with federally-mandated reporting requirements.
• Create and update a variety of immigration-related forms using the ISSS database, insuring accuracy and timeliness.
• Act as liaison to specific campus and community groups to foster program development. Collaborates with others as indicated on programs and activities to support the mission of ISSS.
• Supervise volunteers and student help.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Director for International Student and Scholar Services, who reports to the Associate Director for International Student and Scholar Services, who reports to the Director for International Student and Scholar Services who reports to the Executive Director for Administration and Management, who reports to the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies, who reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Bachelor's Degree
• Experience in international student affairs.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals from varied administrative, academic, cultural, religious, national, ethnic and linguistic backgrounds.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Experience designing and implementing programs and workshops, desirable.
• First-hand experience working or studying in a foreign country, desirable.
• Knowledge of University academic and administrative policies and procedures, desirable.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Starting Date: As soon as possible after the close date.
In order to ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references by 06/05/2018. Applicants are encouraged to specifically relate their backgrounds and experience to the requirements of the position as outlined above.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
507 E. Green St, Suite 401, MC-417
Champaign, IL 61820
email: [email protected]
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Illinois International Programs
Category: Academic Professional
Title: International Advising Specialist - International Student and Scholar Services ( A1800299 )
Open Date: 05/15/2018
Close Date: 06/05/2018
Organization Name: Intl Student and Scholar Svcs