Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The George Washington University Confucius Institute (GWU C.I.) promotes the study of Chinese language and culture, supports Chinese teaching through instructional training and certification, and encourages increased research in the area of China studies. Named for the famed Chinese philosopher (551-479 B.C.), the Confucius Institute is one of 360 worldwide and the first in Washington, D.C. Additional information can be found at the following link: https://confucius.columbian.gwu.edu/.
The Global Initiatives Division, within the Confucius Institute of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS), is searching for a full-time Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant position will provide the overall administrative support to the Executive Director of Global Initiatives.
• Provides day-to-day administrative support to all personnel housed under the GWU C.I.
• Serves as the receptionist and the point of contact of the institute, schedules meetings, arranges for travels, orders supplies, pays invoices, and coordinates facilities maintenance for the program space, etc.
• Answers all general inquiries from the public and organizes visits and tours for parties who are interested in the program.
• Drafts and conducts correspondences on behalf of the supervisor.
• Responsible for bookkeeping all revenues and expenses and creating and maintaining records as needed for events, confirming appointments, performing basic researches, and requesting reports from central development as needed.
• Works with the CCAS Technology and Marketing teams to develop and maintain the Confucius Institute website, designs and orders public information materials such as brochures, drafts press releases and any other materials to publicize all GWU C.I. activities within and outside of the University.
• Assists in troubleshooting and solving routine administrative or procedural problems with other departments, as assigned; helps with various publications.
• Aid in all general office-related tasks such as filing, typing, faxing, picking up and distributing mail, and ordering office supplies.
• Contact other University departments to request housekeeping and maintenance services; give or solicit operational information; arranges for meetings, conferences, and social events.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Proficiency in a foreign language.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Administration Sub-Family Administrative / Operations Stream Service and Support Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Hours Per Week Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:30am-5:30pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007109 Job Open Date: 03/30/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter