Senior Research Associate
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
The Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics in the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health (GWSPH) is seeking a Senior Research Associate to assist with performing statistical analyses, creating reports, providing data management support, and related tasks. This would be through the GW Biostatistics and Epidemiology Consulting Service (BECS), which consists of a group of faculty and non-faculty biostatisticians and epidemiologists based primarily in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Our BECS mission is to provide biostatistical and epidemiologic study design support services to investigators engaged in health research at GWU and in some cases for investigators affiliated with other institutions. See the BECS home page for more details:
http://publichealth.gwu.edu/projects/biostatistics-and- epidemiology-consulting- service#home-content.
Many opportunities exist for professional growth through interaction with the BECS team, attendance at talks on campus, and other resources.
Initially about 50% of the time will involve statistical programming and data management and analysis tasks on an NIH sponsored grant, the DC Center for AIDS Research. Most of the time with that project will involve carrying out statistical analyses and assisting in writing of papers connected to a large cohort study called the “DC Cohort.” This cohort study captures clinical information on over 8,500 HIV-infected persons in care in Washington, DC and has been operating since 2009 in partnership with numerous clinical providers in Washington, DC, the Cerner Corporation, the DC Department of Health, and the National Institutes of Health. The remainder of the time will be divided between statistical analysis tasks related to other projects, as well as some administrative tasks.
- Using statistical software to program basic and advanced statistical analyses
- Mange statistical analysis and documentation with researchers
- Data cleaning and management
- Manage writing up results for presentation and publication
- Manage the preparation of abstracts, presentations and publications.
- Meeting with investigators and multidisciplinary teams to review and provide advice on statistical analyses
- Manage administrative matters for the BECS
- Assist the BECS with miscellaneous administrative tasks such as tracking of
hours, setting up meetings, and answering requests for assistance from
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a master’s degree in a related discipline and 3 years of direct experience in the field. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience analyzing HIV data
- Experience with statistical techniques such as least squares and logistic regression, survival modeling and longitudinal data analysis
- Experience analyzing longitudinal cohort data
- Experience working in SAS
- Experience working in R or STATA
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Field Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: M-F, 8:00-5 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000540 Job Open Date: 05/15/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter