Perform responsible fiscal, administrative, and secretarial duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of major departmental or divisional activities in Neurobiology to maintain efficiency in organizational operations. Also, assist the Chair and the Senior Business Manager in the administration of the duties required for the smooth operation of the Department of Neurobiology.
Please apply directly to this requisition and also send your resume and cover letter to mds55 at duke dot edu. A cover letter is required.
- Complete and submit travel expense reports for corporate card and cash transactions in a timely and accurate manner. Contact faculty and/or staff as appropriate to ensure timely submission of receipts and approval of the trip in [email protected] (15%)
- Process and submit AP check requests. Establish, maintain and complete purchase orders. Set up vendor accounts, and process invoice payments. Submit deposits; take all deposits to the appropriate Duke office. Submit JV corrections of any expense errors as needed/requested. Submit JV's for costs to be allocated to labs/faculty within Neurobiology or to other entities. (15%)
- Export line item reports each month, research detailed information, and send reports to faculty or the appropriate contact person for their approval of expenses. (10%)
- Order and maintain sufficient inventory of office supplies and equipment. (5%)
- Serve as first point of contact for questions and information, including fielding requests for program and degree information. Assist in the timely management of communications, both written and via telephone. (5%)
- Keep the Chair's calendar and manage administrative tasks on behalf of the Chair, including mail, signatures as requested, and meetings. Work with the Chair to customize his schedule to allow for dedicated research time. (10%)
- Coordinate and manage logistics for business meetings, seminars, and other neurobiology group events, including the Ruth K. Broad Seminars, faculty meetings, distinguished speakers, and graduate student events as requested. Maintain calendar for Neurobiology, and coordinate space usage of conference and meeting rooms. (30%)
- Understand the financial GAPs and allowable expenditures on all fund codes, and understand the Neurobiology fund codes, and process payments accordingly and accurately. Notify Senior Business Manager of any problems/concerns. Maintain confidential records, files and other information required for reference and efficient operation of Neurobiology; ensure maintenance of up-to-date management and procedural manuals, directives, and related records. (5%)
- Maintain liaison with other programs, offices, and departments at Duke to coordinate business and to accomplish objectives; interface with external organizations as appropriate to ensure cooperative efforts are enhanced and available resources are utilized. Advise supervisor as to the status of current activities and additional or expanded program requirements; make recommendations for solutions to problems identified. (5%)
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills, thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, and attention to detail. Knowledge of Duke systems is preferred. Light lifting and carrying is required.
Cover letter is required.
476 STAFF ASST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires four years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.