Under direct supervision, performs common unskilled laboring work requiring physical strength but little skill or training. Moves, lifts and carries items of various weights and sizes. May be required to operate motor vehicles and equipment in connection with the performance of duties. Performs related work.
- Moves, lifts and carries heavy objects and materials. May make use of hand or power-driven equipment in the performance of these duties. Mows, prunes, cultivates and maintains lawns, shrubs and trees. Assists in grading, seeding, planting, sodding, cultivation and fertilizing. Operates manual and/or power- driven equipment in the performance of the above tasks.
- Assists in the development and exhibition of botanical collection and in the provision of appropriate care for planting lawns.
- Regulates the use of campus areas and facilities in accordance with campus rules and regulations.
- Makes periodic inspections and performs required maintenance on outdoor equipment, fences, walks, campus grounds, beaches, etc.
- Engages in general maintenance and clean-up activities in outdoor areas of the campus and surrounding areas.
- Clears debris, snow and ice from walkways, stairs and other byways for safe access.
- Rakes and clears leaves from grounds and surrounding areas.
- Operates equipment including mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, trimmers, tractors, trucks, chain saws, forklifts and related equipment required in the performance of these duties.
- Assists skilled craftsmen.
- Engages in waste management operations.
- Loads and unloads heavy equipment and materials at loading/unloading platforms as well as moving or delivery vans or trucks.
- There are no formal education or experience requirements for this position.
- There are certain medical and physical requirements for this position.
- License Requirement - Possession of a Motor Vehicle Drive License valid in the State of New York. For appointment to certain positions, possession of a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York may be required. There may be certain age requirements to obtain this license.
The full specification is available on our web site at: http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin May 29, 2018.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
Job Title: Laborer (Facilities Management & Planning)
Job ID: 18714
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.