Animal Care Attendant
Animal Care Attendant
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Gateway - LSBC
Position Status: Temporary/Contract Positions
The Animal Care Attendant is responsible for providing husbandry and care for a variety of laboratory animals in the vivarium facility at the Life Sciences & Bioengineering Center at Gateway Park. These responsibilities include animal receipt & transport, provision of food and water, changing and cleaning of cages, monitoring animal health and welfare, animal handling and restraining, sanitation of caging and rooms, operation of various equipment, and general housekeeping/organization duties. The Attendant will interact professionally with all levels of personnel within WPI and the external community. Weekend, holiday, and inclement weather availability is required. Part time: 10-20 hours/week.
• Receive, properly identify, transport, handle, and restrain animals by appropriate techniques according to SOPs, regulations, guidelines, and policies to promote animal health and welfare.
• Sanitize animal rooms, caging, equipment, and support areas with approved chemical agents and techniques.
• Operate equipment such as cage and rack washers, autoclaves. Follow health and safety policies by complying with established regulations, guidelines, and policies to promote personnel safety
• Maintain animal census, animal health records, and monitor environmental parameters daily through proper documentation - reporting deviations to supervisor.
• Dispose of waste and hazardous items by established procedures.
• Provide assistance during special procedures by acting under the direction of others.
• Maintain facility security to ensure animal and personnel safety.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED with 1-3 years’ experience. Previous animal care and handling experience preferred.
• AALAS ALAT Certification, or willingness to become certified
• No known allergies to animals
• Must be an effective and flexible communicator to a very diverse community
• Must effectively prioritize tasks, use good judgment, resolve issues effectively & efficiently, and work independently.
• Demonstrated desire and ability to learn
• Night, weekend, holiday, inclement weather availability required
• Physical demands: standing, walking, reaching, climbing, lifting (50 lbs), carrying, writing, pushing, hearing, twisting, bending, squatting/kneeling, sitting, speaking, seeing, using keyboard frequently.
• Physical environment exposure to: animals, noises, chemicals, biohazardous material, ambient temperature, carcinogens, fumes/gasses, dirt, radiation, animal tissue/fluids.
• Mental demands: reading, irregular work schedule, frequent contact with people, frequent interruptions, detailed work, periods of concentrated attention, multiple concurrent tasks.
• Technical Experience such as gavaging, IP and other procedures preferred.
• Part time: 10-20 hours/week
Posting Date: 05/10/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5603