Advertising & Graphic Design Department Head
DESCRIPTION: Alamance Community College (ACC) is seeking a Department Head to oversee the Advertising & Graphic Design Department. Responsibilities may include recommending overall strategic and operational direction, formulating goals and objectives for program; acting as a liaison with the community, recruiting students and building enrollment, monitoring a budget; making program expenditures; ensuring compliance with regulations and College policies; and preparing and reviewing reports. Incumbents will supervise staff and department faculty, assign work, conduct performance evaluations, approving time off, and provide recommendations for improvement.
The Department Head of Advertising & Graphic Design is a full-time faculty member who is a content specialist in a specific area of instruction and is expected to demonstrate a visibly active role in maintaining the assigned content area in a comprehensive, current, and responsible manner. The Department Head reports to and has responsibilities delegated by the Dean of Industrial Technologies.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES: EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Schedule classes in cooperation with the dean and according to the program's progression plan and College's scheduling pattern (unless otherwise approved), and in consideration of student needs and campus locations.
- Assign faculty to sections, in accordance with College credentialing and scheduling processes.
- Develop and manage program budget(s) and purchases in cooperation with the Dean.
- Maintain appropriate inventories for the Advertising and Graphic Design Department.
- Participate in the selection, orientation, and mentoring of faculty members, in accordance with College processes and requirements.
- Work with the colleges Information Systems department to keep the programs computer lab up-to-date.
- Work with the programs off campus (career and college promise) faculty to keep them aware and involved in the operations of the department.
- Maintain a working relationship with the three school systems where Career and College Promise faculty are located.
- Develop a plan and participate in organized activities to recruit students and market the program to increase enrollment.
- In cooperation with the dean, monitor the performance of faculty members. Activities include but are not limited to conducting performance evaluations, classroom observations, and course reviews (as applicable), and reviewing the Student Evaluation of Instruction survey results.
- In accordance with College guidelines, take appropriate action to address and resolve any faculty or student issues that arise.
- Process faculty requests, forms, reports, etc., as applicable; Coordinate faculty substitutions due to instructor absence.
- Conduct program planning and assessment, which includes annual planning and program review deliverables.
- Coordinate and conduct faculty meetings and advisory committee meetings (including the recruitment and recommendation of committee members).
- Make recommendations for curriculum revisions, textbook adoptions and other course materials, library acquisitions, and new course offerings.
- Update and maintain course-specific content within program syllabi templates and course templates (within the College's learning management system); Monitor and/or approve faculty edits to syllabus and course content, as applicable.
- Perform faculty responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty position description.
TYPICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Requires: Associate's degree in Advertising & Graphic Design or a related field. demonstrated competencies in the discipline of Advertising and Graphic Design (e.g. applicable industry experience, industry recognized certification, teaching experience); excellent skills in Adobe Illustrator; drawing skills using 1, 2 and 3-point perspectives; demonstrated proficiency in creating vector illustrations utilizing Adobe Illustrator's pen tool and bezier curves; and excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
Preference will be given to applicants with Bachelor's or Master's degree in a graphic communication field and teaching experience in a community college setting.
Successful candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills. SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: An ACC on-line application MUST be fully completed for consideration, which includes a required letter of interest, transcript attachment and philosophy of teaching and learning as it relates to the community college setting. Resume attachments are welcome but will not be accepted in lieu of complete application
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Applicants should be prepared to present their portfolio if selected for an interview.