Lead Project Manager
Job ID: 24557
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Capital Outlay Project Mgmt
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under general direction and reporting to the Senior Director of Planning, Design & Construction, this position is responsible for simultaneously managing multiple construction projects on Campus. This includes all aspects of project management from conceptual development stage, through final completion. This position is expected to oversee projects assigned to the team that work under the Direction of the Lead Project Manager This position is required to interface with a variety of Colleges and Departments including senior administrators, Chancellor's Office officials, as well as Federal, State and local agencies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts pre-construction feasibility studies and campus impact assessments. Develops project scope and evaluates and implements various construction and delivery methods for new and/or existing utilities related improvements /renovations. Prepares detailed cost estimates and schedules; implements campus compliance policy and procedures; oversees the performance of all construction contractors and professional consultants; and ensures work is completed according to construction plans, specifications, budget, and schedule.
- Establishes project standards and protocols; works with contractors and other professional consultants to ensure understanding of and compliance with all CSU and public works contracting laws and campus requirements.
- Reviews engineering, architectural drawings and bid specifications for accuracy and completeness; evaluates/monitors project progress and ensures compliance with plans, material specifications, and schedule, tracks and controls construction cost against the project budget, processes change orders, and participates in claims reviews.
- Responsible for all phases of project construction. Tracks the delivery of the construction products, oversees all construction meetings, provides direction in the implementation of the construction contract, and directs and monitors compliance with appropriate codes and regulations. Reviews and recommends approval on all contractor and consultant progress payment requests.
- Determines and oversees all required inspections and testing. Supervises construction inspectors and engineers and ensures the quality and timeliness of inspections and testing. Reviews and approves all project schedules submitted by the contractor to ensure minimum campus disruption and maximum cost compliance.
- Prepares request for proposals for the selection and hiring of professional engineering and design services. Collaborates with engineering and design departments and provides strategies and technical knowledge of existing facilities. Provides technical expertise and recommends solutions to problems related to projects and maintains an up-to date knowledge of applicable codes
- Develops and oversees project close-out including agency approval, training, warranties, and certificate of completion, as-built records, and other requirements. Oversees post construction phases as required by SUAM including the commissioning process of newly installed systems and equipment.
- Conducts projects post completion assessments to determine if project objectives including initial financial considerations are met.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, and training employees; Planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Oversee work product and daily management of projects managed by staff, provide feedback, review and resolve any issues that may arise that need the assistance of a manager.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Management, this can be substituted year for year with experience in Project management in a University setting.
- Reviewing engineering, architectural drawings
- Preparing construction close out documents
- Managing projects in excess of two million dollars
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to independently interpret and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures relating to construction management.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of the principles, problems and methods of project management activities and construction oversight.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply expertise to, public works development methods, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to prepare project budgets and analyze funding allocations. Ability to organize, plan, and coordinate work to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to review and understand design, schematic plans, specifications, and related construction documents.
- Ability to understand and interpret appropriate codes, rules and regulations related to construction, including compliance with appropriate safety and health regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to oversee and manage multiple projects and JOC program and delivery methods, and monitor project master schedule and progress of construction activities.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex problems from a future-oriented and broad interactive perspective and readily develop proactive solutions that integrate strategic goals into tactical operations
- Ability to design, prepare, and maintain computerized databases, research, and interpret and evaluate results and correct computer data errors, providing clear and accurate reports.
- Proficiency in PC compatible software programs such as Word, EXCEL, Access, and Project. Familiarity with CADD drawing standards.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses.
- Ability to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.
- A valid California Driver's License is required at time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position.
May 14, 2018
Application Screening begins June 4, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046