Athletic Trainer I
Job ID: 24562
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8180
Department: Athletic Training Room
Classification: Athletic Trainer I
Salary Range: $3,571/month - $6,496/month
FLSA status: Exempt
About the Position
Reporting to and receiving general supervision from the Head Athletic Trainer, the Assistant Athletic Trainer I will perform the full range of clinical athletic training functions, which involve the planning, organization and delivery of daily athletic training services to student-athletes. The position is also involved in the development and organization of the sports medicine program.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1. Prevent, recognize and assess athletic injuries. Implement preventive and rehabilitation programs to treat athletic injuries using the appropriate therapeutic modalities and treatments.
2. Use a variety of therapeutic modalities including, but not limited to, heat, cold, light, sound, electricity and rehabilitation and exercise equipment, and apply bandages, tapes and braces to prevent and treat injuries.
3. Consult with senior Athletic Trainers, physicians, and other health professionals on injuries and treatment plans and coordinate with the coaching staff.
4. Inform coaching staff and other health professionals on the status of injuries and treatment plans.
5. Advise student-athletes on how to prevent injuries and maintain their physical condition. Regularly evaluate their physical condition.
6. Educate and counsel student-athletes and staff regarding conditioning, athletic training and rehabilitation.
7. Assist coaches in designing conditioning programs to prevent injuries.
8. Attend practices and athletic events and provide medical emergency coverage to student-athletes. Travel with sports teams to away games as needed.
9. May provide injury assessment and/or treatment for students involved with the cheer squad.
10. Coordinate drug prevention programs and applicable drug testing requirements for student-athletes.
11. Maintain equipment and cleanliness of the athletic training facility.
12. Maintain appropriate medical records of injuries, treatment plans and progress.
13. Provide support to the athletic training curriculum by providing clinical instruction to students enrolled in such classes.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to bachelor's degree in athletic training, physical education, kinesiology or related field of study or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. Coursework must include completion of the Board of Certification (BOC) curriculum requirements.
Must possess and maintain BOC (Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer) certification.
Possess and maintain certification in CPR/AED (cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillation) for the Professional Rescuer and first aid.
- Must have experience providing athletic training services at the high school, college or professional level.
- Intercollegiate or professional sport experience.
- Experience traveling with teams.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
a. Incumbents must possess a general knowledge of the principles and practices of Athletic Training including conditioning and injury prevention, as well as injury assessment and rehabilitation.
b. Must possess knowledge of the full range of therapeutic modalities and their practical use and physiological basis; other therapeutic preventions and treatments such as taping, bracing, and massage; effective use of rehabilitation and exercise equipment.
c. Be familiar with and adhere to the rules, regulations and guidelines established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) pertaining to student-athletes, their training sports medicine care, and health and safety.
d. Must possess knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards for handling Blood Borne Pathogens.
e. Ability to maintain medical records, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standard.
f. Ability to follow insurance procedures.
g. Must be able to effectively assess injuries and their severity.
h. Ability to develop conditioning and rehabilitation programs and manage and treat injuries.
i. Ability to use the full range of appropriate therapeutic modalities and treatments and rehabilitation and exercise equipment to treat and prevent injuries.
j. Ability to determine the appropriate referrals for athletes to other health care professionals.
k. Ability to recognize life threatening situations and administer the appropriate emergency aid.
l. Ability to use a computer to perform medical, insurance and other record keeping function.
m. Ability to work in an environment with competing priorities.
n. Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills to develop effective working relationships with student-athletes and to serve as a liaison among student-athletes, coaching staff, parents, physicians and other health care professionals.
May 11, 2018
Application Screening Begins May 28, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application to apply, please visit our website at: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs/index.html
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046