Payroll Examiner 1
Payroll Examiner 1-1801303
Required Qualifications: Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service Exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience processing payroll. Proficient computer skills. Excellent customer service skills.
Brief Description of Duties: The incumbent is responsible for processing the payroll for Stony Brook University, Stony Brook University Hospital, and The Long Island State Veteran’s Home.
- Responsible for payroll for State employees (University, Hospital and Long Island State Veteran’s Home), Student Assistants and Special Fund Estimate (SFE) workers. Process paperwork, to include appointments, position changes, salary changes, FTE changes, shift changes, longevity payments, summer session appointments, extra service/ dual employment, incentive payments, reductions in salary due to unsatisfactory evaluations, etc. Process vacation lump sum and deferral day payments. Assists employees and departments with Payroll related questions.
- Responsible for processing paper time sheets for University and per diem employees, in addition to the Hospital and Long Island State Veterans Home (LISVH) time sheets which were not processed via the Kronos automated file.
- Process payroll deductions and assist with identifying and rectifying related discrepancies, to include parking deductions, tax withholdings, 529 deductions, etc. Ensure proper amounts are reported on the W-2 form in relation to education assistance and moving expenses. Modifies withholding exemptions claimed based upon IRS lock in letters received.
- Process direct deposit enrollments/changes, address and name changes, and employee demographic updates.
- Responsible for identifying, scheduling repayment and documenting over payments. Will contact employee to explain over payment and provide Payroll Analyst with detailed explanation of the over payment so he/she may send written notification to the employee.
- Responsible for returning paychecks to the State and completing the accompanying AC230 form. Works with employees in requesting replacement checks as needed, and reports fraudulent activity to supervisor.
- Additional duties, as assigned, to include garnishment notifications to employees, processing traffic fines and printing and distribution of various reports (including the termination report and paycheck hold list).
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Official Job Title: Payroll Examiner 1
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Human Resource Services-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Human Resource Services-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: May 14, 2018
Posting End Date: May 28, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG12