Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Surgery - Division of GI, Trauma, and Endocrine Surgery
Professional Research Assistant
Position #724078, Req 13601
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The laboratory of Dr. Elizabeth J. Kovacs, within the Division of GI, Trauma, and Endocrine Surgery, is seeking a full-time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to conduct preclinical and clinical research related to the innate immune system specifically, inflammation. The overall goal of the Kovacs laboratory is to study the effects of advanced age and alcohol intoxication on inflammatory responses after injury or infection. The laboratory is located on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. As a premier institution, CU Anschutz integrates world-class education, research, and patient care in state-of-the-art facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of a faculty member and senior PRA, the successful candidate will work primarily on murine models of tissue injury.
- Models will involve handling and conducting experiments on mice as well as the management of breeding colonies.
- Clinical work will involve the handling and processing of human tissue samples.
- Wet lab techniques will include western blots, ELISAs, PCR/RTPCR, cell culture, flow cytometry, genotyping, and immunofluorescence.
- In addition, the successful candidate will conduct general laboratory maintenance involving inventorying supplies, cataloging samples and reagents, and ensuring appropriate safety and disposal requirements are met.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Physiology or related field or equivalent experience as designated by the Dean or Dean's Designee.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of the above mentioned scientific techniques and mouse handling.
- Prior experience studying inflammation, immunology, infection, aging, or alcohol intoxication.
- One or more years working at the University of Colorado Medical Campus or similar experience at an academic medical institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and general communication skills; applicant must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Detail-oriented, paying close attention to and documenting experimental protocols, laboratory write-ups, graphs/figures, and PowerPoint presentations
- General knowledge of office computer software and basic understanding of statistical analysis and programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20318 - SOM-SRG-GI Clinical
Posting Date: May 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bryan Downey
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00724078