Assistant Teacher, Early Childhood Educator
The University of Colorado Boulder is accepting applications for an Assistant Teacher, Early Childhood Educator. This position, in collaboration with Early Childhood Educator II and the Directors, serves by developing and implementing lesson plans, teaching developmentally appropriate curriculum, trains university student employees and directs information for evaluation of students employees and children. The Early Childhood Educator I provides a quality nurturing environment for a diverse population of children ages 15 months to kindergarten.
Who we are:
Located at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, the University of Colorado Boulder has an awe-inspiring view from campus. Our world-renowned faculty maintain a reputation for excellence in research, creative work and teaching across 150 academic fields. From hands-on learning to close connections with dedicated faculty, CU-Boulder prepares students to become leaders within Colorado and throughout the world.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Health and Safety
- Ensures safety of children by monitoring indoor and outdoor equipment, communicating any concerns to ECE II or director.
- Maintains health standards following procedures for food preparation, diapering, medication administration, etc.
- Remains current on certifications including CPR, First Aid, UP, Child Abuse, and Medication Administration.
- Follows NAEYC, DAP, Federal Food, Health Department and licensing guidelines.
- Provides guidance as needed for students, assistants and volunteers.
- Supervises and interacts with children by planning and implementing age-appropriate activities.
- Uses appropriate Guidance Techniques.
- Develops good relationships with parents by communicating in a friendly manner at drop off and pick up time.
- Refers parents to ECE I or II when concerns or questions arise.
- Provides positive customer service and information, handles difficult situations with finesse.
- Helps parents to understand behavior and development.
- Assures continual professional growth by attending staff in-services, workshops, and conferences.
- Completes all department required trainings and 15 hours of licensing training requirements. Keeps training log up-to-date.
- Demonstrates flexibility in working with different teams, and handling a variety of situations.
- Maintains a positive attitude and relationships with others.
What you should know:
- This is a regular full-time position working from 8:30-5:30, Monday through Friday.
- Hired candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Hired candidates must pass Pre-Placement Physical.
- Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
What we can offer:
The monthly salary for this opportunity is $2,600.00. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be impactful. Be diverse. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Early Childhood Teacher qualified in the State of Colorado.
The minimum qualifications for an Early Childhood Educator I working with pre-school children would include any one of the following combinations of education and experience:
- Bachelor's, or Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Early Child Development, Elementary Education, Special Education, Family and Child Development, or Child Psychology.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with two (2) three semester hour early childhood education college courses with one course being either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies, and at least six (6) months of verified experience in the care of four or more children less than six years of age who are not related to the individual.
- Completion of at least sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university with at least two courses in childhood development, one course being either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies, and at least six months of satisfactory experience.
- A licensed practical nurse with at least twelve months of verifiable experience in the care of children less than three years of age. An Early Child Educator I who is working in an infant nursery must have six months of experience in the care of infants and toddlers (which may include parenting experience)...
- Twenty-four months of verified experience in the care of four or more children less than six years of age who are not related to the individual; and either a current Colorado Early Childhood Credential Level I or six semester early childhood education college hours from an accredited college or university with one course being Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies. All grades must be a "C" or higher. In addition to any of the above options, an Early Child Educator I working with toddlers (walking independently to thirty-six months) can also meet any of the below combinations of education and experience.
What we'd like you to have:
- Two years of experience working with small groups of young children unrelated to the applicant.
- Experience working in a NAEYC Accredited program.
- Early Childhood Education courses.
1. 1. A registered nurse, licensed to practice in Colorado, with a minimum of six months of experience in the care of infants and/or toddlers.
2. Current certificate in infant and toddler care from an accredited college or university with completion of at least thirty semester hours in such courses as child growth and development, nutrition, and care practices with children birth to three years of age.
3. Completion of twelve (12) semester hours from an accredited college or university in childhood development or early childhood education and nine months of verified experience in the care of four or more children less than six years of age who are not related to the individual. One of the three (3) semester hour courses must be either Introduction to Early Childhood Education or Guidance Strategies.
4. Completion of a vocational or occupational education sequence or a course of training approved by the Department in child development and twelve months of verified experience in the care of four or more children less than six years of age who are not related to the individual.
5. Current certification as a Child Development Associate (CDA), Certified Child Care Professional (CCP) or other Department of Human Services approved credential, certificate, or course of training in working with children.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by January 21, 2018
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Name-12058.
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Please do not upload references or transcripts at this time. References will be requested separately for potential finalists.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Jan 4, 2018
Closing Date: Jan 21, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00741714