Senior Strategist of Annual Giving
The Office of Advancement for the University of Colorado System works closely to support the missions of the four University of Colorado campuses (Anschutz Medical Campus, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Denver). The division consists of about 50 individuals reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, and works with each of the four campus Advancement offices as well as Advancement colleagues employed by the University of Colorado Foundation.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who can hit the ground running and help grow our Annual Giving program across all four campuses. The Senior Strategist will oversee at least one staff member and help conceive, design, and drive effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies to increase Annual Giving results. The Senior Strategist will be a champion of data-driven decision making, responding to the unique challenges and priorities for each of the four campuses as well as the wider university system with creative solutions that meet fundraising goals. This position will assist and lead other Annual Giving constituents with deliverables and strategy to ensure the success of the team and Advancement department as a whole. This position reports to the Senior Director of Annual Giving and is Exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Annual Giving Team:
- Leads the strategy development and implementation for increasing recurring giving.
- Serves as the strategy lead for critical initiatives and populations that cut across all channels. This includes expanding our efforts with stewardship, recurring giving, leadership annual giving, student and recent alumni engagement and giving, giving days, etc.
- Mentors the Annual Giving team's Program Managers, Data Analyst, and Program Coordinator with project management, time management, and maintaining high quality deliverables to stakeholders.
- Serves as an experienced leader on the annual giving team, stepping in when needed to help solve a problem, build strategy, and develop a tactical plan.
- Assists the Annual Giving team with data-driven decisions and analysis.
- Collaborates with all members of the team to explore new ideas and technologies.
- Ensures that the annual giving team is up to date on trends and benchmarks within the industry and has the ability to utilize new trends within the team.
- Schedules and meets with people across the four campuses, at the foundation, and within the system offices to strategize, plan, and implement changes and processes to Annual Giving.
- Represents the system Annual Giving office to all people from across the system, speaking confidently to the entire suite of outreach activities originating with the team and obtaining buy-in from stakeholders.
- Coordinates and collaborates with people from across the system to help inform and guide annual giving activity.
- Liaises with the campuses to:
- Ensure effective and efficient communications between system and campus.
- Develop strategies for direct response outreach to campus constituencies.
- Assist and guide leadership annual giving program growth.
Annual Giving Team Management:
- Manages the Annual Giving Program Manager.
- Responsible for the oversight, hiring, training, performance management, and termination of the Program Manager.
- Creates strategic performance plans to support the objectives of CU, Advancement, and the Annual Giving Team.
- Maintains quality oversight by conducting regular reviews of team members' work to evaluate for accuracy and overall delivery of services and customer experience. Provide regular feedback to team members and coach for improvement.
- Manage operational requirements for projects - scheduling, assigning, and designing operational procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of Annual Giving and Fundraising Efforts within complex organizations.
- Knowledge of team management strategies and best practices.
- Knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs.
- Knowledge of and ability to understand data, data trends, and data analysis to make decisions and strategies.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Ability to complete thorough and accurate research and appropriately apply to projects assigned.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other University Personnel, and the public.
- Ability to lead and manage employees effectively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Broomfield. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent experience (education requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- At least four (4) years' experience fundraising in a higher education or nonprofit setting.
- At least two (2) years' utilizing data to create strategies, goals, and outcomes.
- Previous experience in annual giving fundraising in a non-profit or higher education setting.
- Previous experience managing staff.
- Experience leading a program from concept and strategy to execution and analysis.
- Experience securing buy-in and support from stakeholders.
Special Instructions to Applicants:This position will be open until filled. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50206 - Advancement Operations
Posting Date: May 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Chris Brooks
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002295