Chief of Staff 499676
Chief of Staff 499676
Position Type: Staff
Position Number: 499676
Department: Office of the President
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Chief of Staff provides overall direction for the operation of the President's office. The Chief of Staff serves as a senior advisor to the President and reports directly to the President on a wide variety of administrative and executive duties, special projects, and initiatives involving the President's office and its priorities. The Chief of Staff manages, facilitates, coordinates, and directs key functions and activities of the President's Office and interfaces with the Board of Regents Office, Senior Officers of the University, and other such individuals. This position is responsible for the direction and executive oversight of the President's Executive Assistant, daily office operations, office budgets, and all of the activities and services provided by the Office of the President.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Acts as designee in the absence of the President and other senior officers. Represents the President at a variety of internal and external meetings and events and represents the perspectives of the President in meetings involving senior management discussions of policies and procedures. At the President's direction, serves as liaison to government agencies, commissions, and associations and stakeholders in public higher education.
2. Provides advance staff work for the President in preparation of meetings, presentations, etc., for internal and external constituencies; prepares and assembles agenda materials for meetings, programs and conferences. Coordinates staff support for University administration and committees, task forces, and study groups appointed by the President.
3. Represents the views of the President and introduces and promotes university projects and initiatives to a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including members of local, regional and state government, alumni, friends, and Members of the Board of Regents, staff and leaders of the Texas State University System, and Lamar University employees. Manages communications, in coordination with the Marketing Department, with internal and external stakeholders and interested parties to increase and maintain visibility of projects and programming.
4. Works collaboratively with the President's staff and others in coordinating or directing, planning and implementing major University ceremonies and events hosted by the President. Manage events to promote and support the college within the community, respond to inquiries about the university, produce written materials for approval.
5. Responds on behalf of the President to inquiries from, and/or issues involving, students, employees, and members of the public. Working with senior staff, reviews suggested policies and provides the President or vice presidents with recommended modifications. Works collaboratively with senior officials and other managers in addressing crisis situations that may have a University-wide impact.
6. Develops and reviews strategies to ensure University projects align with the strategic plan and desired outcomes. Assists in the development, coordination, and implementation of the Lamar University strategic plan.
7. Conducts special administrative and research studies on a wide range of subjects related to the overall management and operations of the university, as well as special projects and programs initiated by the President. Provides on-going analysis and delivery of projects to maximize use of resources including time, people, and money. Monitors project costs and performance, service levels and other metrics required to ensure project goals and objectives are met.
8. Tracks incoming correspondence; reviews, annotates and directs to appropriate administrative and other staff for appropriate follow-upon and implementation; handles highly confidential material as appropriate.
9. Manages the budget of the President's office and tracks budgetary issues and actions. May be assigned budget management responsibility for special projects.
10. Supervises administrative services professionals, paraprofessionals, technical/support and classified staff and performs both direct and indirect supervision through subordinates.
Five (5) or more years of increasingly responsible positions in higher education or equivalent experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Master’s Degree in a Business Administration, Public Administration, Communications or related fields from a regionally accredited university.
1. Work requires contacts with management personnel and decisions regarding implementation of policies. Contact may involve support of controversial positions or the negotiation of sensitive issues or important presentations or coming to a common understanding or satisfactory solution by collaboration, compromise, or developing suitable alternatives. Proven track record of developing effective partnerships across disparate groups to organize and facilitate decisions and ensure implementation. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
2. Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills are required; A precise command of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and the correct usage of the English language.
3. Demonstrated ability to manage large and diverse organizations, with emphasis in the field of higher education, government. Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
4. Understanding of public administration principles and practices within the State of Texas, as well as applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
5. Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities, including Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and other software.
6. Experience in successful completion of complex projects, as well as planning, implementing, improving and evaluating programs, policies and procedures.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
Three (3) or more years of Project management experience.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date: 05/14/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.