Technology Support Specialist I
Bowdoin Information Technology is a dynamic, fast-paced and innovative atmosphere. The department is comprised of a team of dedicated career professionals excited about providing new technologies and excellent service to our clients and improving their own professional skills and knowledge. Bowdoin College supports and encourages professional development and career advancement. The Technology Support Specialist I is a member of the IT Solution Center Service Desk team responsible for the college's centrally managed client computing environment which provides superior client service to the Bowdoin College community. S/he serves as a primary contact and technical consultant for faculty, staff and students and possesses strong communication, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. S/he provides multi-platform software and hardware support for traditional desktop and mobile platforms for faculty and staff demonstrating a mastery level through experience, education and certification in at least one platform (OS X or Windows). S/he is required to respond to phone calls, email messages, office visits and service requests by consulting, identifying, troubleshooting and resolving a variety of technology issues. Support is provided through office visits, remote tools and by telephone as required. S/he is expected to be a leader both internal and external to the Service Desk and the college community.
Generally, M - F, 8:30 - 5:00 with occasional work outside of normal business hours or on weekends and holidays. This is a full time exempt position requiring time commitment necessary to satisfactorily complete job requirements.College: Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Vocational: 2 year technical or equivalent experience.
• Provide superior client service while maintaining ideas of safety and security for self, the college and computing systems
• Strong communication (listening, verbal and written) and organizational skills
• Be able to provide logical and effective troubleshooting
• Even-tempered, positive and approachable attitude
• Diplomatic and able to manage stressful situations
• Enthusiastic and empathetic consultant for faculty, staff and students
• Mastery level (through experience, training and certifications) in supporting at least one operating system platform (OS X or Windows)
• Experience using some form of IT ticketing software, preferably, but not limited to, TeamDynamix
• Specialized training acquired from college, technical vocational, trade or business school
• Team player
• Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
• Apple Certification
• Microsoft Windows Desktop certification
• Knowledge of other IT areas including networking, systems management, group policy
• Knowledge of working in an academic environment
• Two+ years supporting one of two primary operating systems (OS X or Windows) in an enterprise environment or two-year technical degree in Computer or Information Technology
• Two+ years providing superior customer service
• Consulting, training, communicating and partnering effectively with clients at various technical abilities
• Responding to phone calls, email, office visits and service requests by consulting, identifying, troubleshooting and resolving various client technology issues.
• Experience with working in partnership with software and hardware vendors
Some contact with hardware and software vendors. Infrequent contact with emeritus employees, retirees, spouses of faculty/staff, trustees, prospective students, parents, alumni, auditors, dignitaries, friends of Bowdoin College and other community members. Seasonal contact with summer program guests.