Requisition # 2018-8580
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princo is widely recognized as an innovative leader in the investment management industry. We manage the University's $23 billion Endowment through a global network of over 75 investment firms which span seven asset classes:
- US Equity
- Emerging International Equity
- Developed International Equity
- Independent Return (certain Hedge Funds)
- Private Equity: Buyouts and Venture Capital
- Real Assets: Real Estate, Energy, and Timber
- Fixed Income and Cash
Princo is a small, flat organization that values open debate and independent thinking. The entire investment team, from Analysts to the Chief Investment Officer, works together on an open floor plan and makes investment decisions collaboratively. The team actively develops and refines its investment acumen through day-to-day responsibilities: qualitative and quantitative analysis, internal discussion, and meetings with current and prospective managers. Individual focus within one or two of the Endowment's asset classes cultivates specialized knowledge, while a culture of broad portfolio engagement promotes diverse and complementary learning.
The combination of Princo's distinctive investment philosophy and culture, and the perpetual nature of the Endowment, creates a compelling intellectual challenge. Princo has a long history of superior performance, with returns that have consistently placed in the top percentiles of institutional investors and have outperformed those of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway over the past 15 years.
The Operations Team at Princeton University Investment Company is responsible for supporting the investment operations of Princeton's endowment. The team is seeking a candidate to account for capital distributions, market values, review financial statements related to its portfolio of investments, and conduct various aspects of operational due diligence.
Accordingly, the candidate must have a strong understanding of the annual reporting cycle and internal control framework of an investment company; from the development of journal entries, proper segregation of duties, through to the sign off of audited financial statements. Candidate must also have the ability to analyze the financial statements of investment companies, conduct operational due diligence, and report to senior management on operational risks, weaknesses and/or deficiencies. Candidate must have the ability to research and report on new developments in the accounting field involving investment companies and to assess the impact on buy side investors.
• Compile and analyze financial information for year-end reporting
• Review financials of investment companies and identify SEC, GAAP or IFRS compliance
• Identify and interpret financial and operational risk
• Evaluate appropriateness of valuation methodologies and conclusions
• Work closely and liaise with colleagues within and outside the department
• Perform month end closing procedures
• Reconcile internal records with custodial bank
• Research and reconcile partner statements and financials with internal records and agreements
• Process in kind distributions
• Calculate carried interest payments and reserve accruals
• Assist in vendor management
• Assist in continuing efforts to improve operational efficiency
- BA, preferably in accounting, finance or equivalent
- Strong work ethic
- Great attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and work well in a small team environment
- Must possess strong mathematical and reasoning abilities
- Experience and fluency in Microsoft Office applications and relational database management
- Comfortable with automation and seeking workflow improvements [process and technology]
- Strong organizational abilities and ability to multi-task
- 3- 5years previous experience in an accounting role, preferably in a financial services firm.
- CPA or CFA a plus
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.