Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2018-8777
Department Integrative Genomics
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a research specialist to join the laboratory of Shawn Davidson, Ph.D. whose research focuses on understanding cellular metabolism in cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. We are seeking a highly motivated and organized individual to work on a fast-paced interdisciplinary project to use a cutting edge metabolomic platform in transgenic animal models of cancer and neurodegenerative disease.
This is a five year term position. The position is open and review of applications will begin immediately.
Duties will principally include assay development for imaging mass spectrometry and using genetic and pharmacological interventions to validate metabolic targets in cell culture and transgenic mouse models. The candidate will work closely with PIs, post-docs, and graduate students in the Davidson and neighboring laboratories at Princeton University. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to strengthen experience in mass-spectrometry, wet-lab rodent research methods and techniques, as well as experience in molecular and cell biology and engineering.
- A bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, and at least six months of experience working/performing research in a biological laboratory is preferred, with a good working knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- Previous experience in the ethical and humane use of animals in laboratory research is also preferred; willingness to work with animals is required.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) as well as strong interpersonal skills and experienced working in a team are required.
- Must be comfortable summarizing and reporting results to researchers.
- Demonstrated commitment to exceeding quality standards and providing exceptional services, meticulous attention to detail, practiced documentation skills, and a commitment to producing accurate and high-quality work are required.
- Awareness of basic safety issues is also required, as well as the ability to follow safety procedures and maintain a safe work environment.
- The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
- Laboratory research experience and familiarity with general methods and applications of mass-spectrometry.
- Basic mathematical background and programming skills.
- Experience with Matlab and R.
- The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development as a scientist and is therefore interested in reading the current scientific literature and conducting an independent research project.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
This is a five year term position.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.