Building Attendant - Housing and Residence Life
Hyde Park Campus
68676 CSL-Residence Halls & Commons
About the Unit
The mission of Housing & Residence Life is to help develop and support inclusive communities that engage residents in exceptional living experiences within secure and well-maintained environments that foster a sense of belonging and support the academic initiatives of the University. The primary strategy for the delivery of such an environment is through a residence life program that which aims to develop strong residential communities that are self-regulating, supportive of academic success; provide a strong sense of belonging, and rich opportunities for personal, cultural, social and intellectual development. The leadership of residential faculty and adult staff in fostering these experiences is key to the success of the mission.
The primary goals of the Building Attendant is to assure that the desks are not left unattended, to monitor students and staff entering and exiting the residence halls, and to ensure staff and faculty within the halls are adhering to campus policies. Building Attendants perform rounds of the residence halls to ensure the buildings are safe and secure.
Work Schedule: Wednesday -Thursday 3-11pm; Friday-Saturday 11pm-7am
- Check for propped doors and windows along the exterior of the building
- Check select areas in the basements and directly around the front desks while performing rounds
- Check for exterior lights that are not functioning and submit work orders in Maximo
- Check in with each desk clerk on duty and provide desk relief to the clerks as needed
- Ensure entry doors are shut and locked as needed
- Perform a visual inspection of the exterior of each residence hall
- Providing exceptional customer service to residents, staff, and visitors
- Cheerfully greet residents, staff and visitors in person or by phone. Engage residents, staff and visitors as they utilize the amenities of the residence hall, including services of the front desk Thoughtfully provide information about campus, and residence hall policies and procedures
- Observe security doors and lobby entryway; check resident and staff I.D.'s as they enter the building; maintain resident, guest and visitor sign-in/out records
- Check out and follow up for return of borrowed cleaning and recreational equipment and keys by maintaining appropriate forms and records
- Adheres to directives and policies outlined by leadership during trainings, via email and in the Building Attendant manual; provide routine orientation to new employees in coordination with Residence Hall Managers and HRL
- Complies with building management emergency response and evacuation systems, such as fire alarm procedures. Keep alert to unusual circumstances and situations; take appropriate action and efficiently report critical issues to Residence Hall Managers and other building management staff by phone and or an incident report via an online system
- Perform other tasks as requested by Residence Hall Managers and building management
- Display Emotional Intelligence
- Demonstrate Strategic Agility
- Foster Positive Partnerships and Collaboration
- Identify priorities in order to recognize and resolve or refer problems
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Previous customer service experience required
- Prior experience as a Desk Clerk I or in a similar position preferred
- Experience in a customer service role in a college or university preferred
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to learn a range of position-related software applications required
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle required - Drivers' License required
- Ability to bend, crouch, or stoop
- Ability to walk or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to carry or lifts loads of 25 to 49 lbs.
- Ability to sit for 4 hours or more
- Ability to use computers extensively for 4 hours or more
- Ability to stand for 2 hours to 4 hours
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CVsection of the application
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/