Residence Hall Director (R-01007)
The Residence Hall Director oversees daily operations related to residence life, staff, and student housing. Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates residential life student staff. Provides personal, academic, educational, disciplinary, crisis management, and counseling services to students through various programs and projects. Coordinates with administrative staff to maintain facilities and operations. Maintains positive working relationships with other student affairs and campus life offices in order to facilitate programming and improve services. Assists with the general administration of residence hall student housing. Works under supervision of the Associate Director of Residential Life to administer programs, supervise undergraduate and graduate staff, and interact positively with students.
Qualified candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree with one year of related work experience in a residential life or campus housing environment, and one year supervision experience.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Higher Education, Counseling, Student Affairs or a related area.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills in order to solve problems and resolve conflict.
- Ability to work with multiple campus constituents.
- One or more years of supervision experience.
- One or more years of advising experience.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Basic office computer skills and the ability to learn new software programs.
APPOINTMENT DATE: 7/20/2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline for applications will be June 18, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Supervise one to two Higher Education in Student Affairs Graduate Students.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an overall Residential Life Program, providing opportunities for student development and leadership training in assigned residence halls/units.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate Resident Assistants and Desk Assistants according to work product and compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Provide constructive feedback and maintain and cooperative working environment. Provide Resident Assistants, Desk Assistants, and other student employees with opportunities for training and development through planned presentations and programming.
- Implement conflict resolution procedures and oversee the delivery of counseling services for staff and students dealing with problems related to residence life. Work with students and staff to resolve conflicts, assist with personal and academic problems, mental health concerns, discuss diversity issues, and maintain cultural awareness.
- Build and maintain a working knowledge of the campus and surrounding community in order to assist students with referrals and opportunities for development.
- Build and maintain positive interactions with students through email communications, meetings, and group discussions.
- Utilize Maxient to process all conduct and meet with students concerning disciplinary issues and serve as Judicial Hearing Officer. Administer judicial sanctions using, as appropriate.
- Oversee residence hall operations, such as room assignments, key distribution and collection, damage assessment, disciplinary reporting, billing, safety checks, room condition reports, and maintenance requests.
- Serve as a budgeting officer for a Hall Director Budget as well as Community Council Budget.
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with facilities and custodial staff to ensure all facilities needs are being met.
- Coordinate room and roommate assignments; deliver assignments, make appropriate changes as necessary, and resolve any problems according to established policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of furniture, equipment, and supplies for residence hall facilities and housing units. Monitor the efficacy of housekeeping services and preventative maintenance procedures, and make improvements as necessary. Maintain safety protocols.
- Serve on campus wide on-call duty rotation.
- Respond to concerns about facilities, medical emergencies, mental health concerns or safety and security. Conduct follow up and coordination of resources as necessary.
- Attend weekly departmental staff meetings.
- Serve on departmental or University committees that support the development of residence life programs and resources.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,000 (including 4,600+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 3,500+ students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 6,800+). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.