Director of Advising and Retention
Midway University is actively seeking a well-organized, efficient professional to serve as Director of Advising & Retention.
The Director of Advising & Retention will coordinate and administer academic advising functions for Midway University students as well as collaborate with departments across campus, including Institutional Research, to strengthen, connect, implement and assess student retention efforts. This position will work closely with deans, chairs, and faculty advisors in developing, implementing and assessing campus academic advising initiatives to ensure quality academic advising for all Midway University students. The Director will develop a comprehensive advising plan that is grounded in best practices and research in the areas of advising, retention, and student success and engages faculty advisors in successful implementation of the plan as well as supports the university’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). This position reports to the Associate Dean of Student Success.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but not be limited to:
- Work with Institutional Research on advising assessment instruments: collection of data, analysis and reports to improve effectiveness of advising and enhance student satisfaction
- Plan and facilitate New Advisor Training and on-going professional development for faculty and staff advisors
- Work with individual advisors as needed, where data reveals improvement in regard to academic advising
- Coordinate consistent advising communications to faculty, staff and students
- Plan for, develop, lead, and assess Fall and Spring advising and registration periods
- Maintain an advisee caseload
- Organize and coordinate first-year and transfer student advising in collaboration with Admissions and Student Affairs
- May teach a freshman seminar course
- Improve existing practices, web resources, and the advisor handbook to facilitate students’ progress to degree completion
- Serve as chair of the university advising and retention committees
- Collect, analyze and report data on student persistence, retention and student satisfaction
- Participate in the development, coordination, and implementation of retention initiatives to ensure student success
- Collaborate with related departments to support the implementation, tracking, and assessment of High Impact Practices
- Oversee and lead Quality Enhancement Plan to ensure accurate data collection and implementation of plan as documented
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in higher education administration, adult education, student development, or related field with a minimum of two years of advising/retention experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with a primarily faculty-based advising system.
- Ability to effectively deliver content through trainings, workshops, etc.
- Effective problem solver and systems thinker.
- Effectiveness in working with faculty and professional staff on best practices in academic advising, and incentivizing the execution of strong advising standards.
- Proficient data analysis/interpretation skills, including tracking, reporting and synthesizing data from different sources are also required.
- Documented commitment to student development and passion for working with diverse undergraduate populations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks and demands.
Midway University is an Equal Opportunity Employer