Staff Research Associate 1
8AM - 5PM
$43,702 - $52,200
Assist with laboratory research and rearing of laboratory insects such as cockroaches, cat fleas, stored product insects and termites. General duties will include rearing insect colonies, preparing insecticide solutions, organizing and conducting tests on insects, entering data into computer data bases.
- Knowledge of general laboratory management.
- Knowledge and clearance to work in animal care facilities.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory techniques for handling and using insecticides.
- General skills in chemistry solution preparation.
- Successful completion of a background check through the University's background check agency. Approval by Animal Care Committee to work in the vivarium.
- Bachelors degree in biology or entomology with laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and two years of laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Experience with rearing and maintaining insect colonies, especially cockroaches, fleas, stored product insects and termites. No aversions or allergies to insects or cats.
- Vertebrate animal care experience.
- Experience with entering data and maintaining computer spread sheets such as Excel.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview