Mail Message Services Worker, Level 2 (Provisional)
Provides and supervise mail and related services at a CUNY location. There are two Assignment Levels for this position and all personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments in this position; related duties may be assigned as needed.
- Under supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, utilizing manual and/or electronic postal equipment and procedures:
- Receives sorts and distributes mail or other packages, signs package receipts.
- Loads, unloads, lifts and moves mail and packages.
- Prepares sorts and labels outgoing mail.
- Assists in packing and unpacking of all kinds of packages that can be processes through the US Postal Service and other delivery services.
- Picks up and delivers interoffice or intra-office mail/parcels.
- Inserts letters or other material into envelopes manually or using automated equipment.
- Computes required postage, and stamps outgoing mail and/or operates office machines to process mail.
- Acts as a messenger, both on and off location.
- May visit Post Office to conduct business related to mail delivery and postage.
- Delivers meters to Post Office for resetting.
- Answers routine queries from users of mail services.
- Gets mail and/or packages registered and/or insured.
- Operates office machines such as copiers and postage meters.
- Makes scheduled trips for deliveries or collections; if necessary, operates various kinds of motor vehicles to carry mail or parcels.
- Reports any noticeable mechanical defects in motor vehicle and/or in office equipment they utilize.
- Operates telephone equipment, including automated directories and telephone features.
- Maintains mail directories of all employees at the Campus.
- Keeps other required records.
- Uses computer, if necessary, to perform routine tasks e.g., reports, expenses, and postage.
- Depending on office policy may utilize electronic mail to communicate with campus personnel regarding the status of mail deliveries.
- May function as a lead worker.
- Supervise mail service activities, or supervise part time and/or student employees working in service area.
- Under direction, with considerable independent initiative and judgment, supervises employees utilizing manual and/or electronic procedures in performing mail and messenger service functions and performs the following more complex activities:
- Supervise and trains staff in all phases of mail/messenger service operations.
- Insures that selection among mail service and postage choices is made in most cost effective manner.
- Assign job duties to subordinates, and maintains records of their schedules.
- Makes sure that all deadlines are met and deliveries are made promptly.
- Determines route schedules for pickups and deliveries.
- Keeps logs of all postage material.
- Prepares monthly invoices or internal billing records for postage used by College departments.
- Prepares requisitions for supplies, funding of postal accounts and contracts for servicing equipment.
- Insures that mail office equipment is properly maintained and serviced.
- Maintains the security of all postage material and equipment.
- Explains procedural changes and provides subordinates with necessary resources and supplementary interpretations to implement these changes.
- Develops, maintains, and revises (if needed) procedures to insure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Corresponds and confers with local postal authorities to resolve postal/electronic media/messenger issues.
- Coordinates services and obtains interpretations of new or revised postal regulations.
- Schedules internal and external training sessions for staff, such as seminars provided by the Post Office.
- Uses computer if necessary, to perform routine tasks e.g. reports, expenses and postage. Depending on office policy may utilize electronic mail to communicate with campus personnel regarding the unit's activities.
- Investigates complaints of poor service and takes appropriate action.
- Prepares annual and supplemental budgets for the mail service functions.
- May perform the duties of Assignment Level 1.
Mail Message Services Worker
- A four-year high school diploma or its equivalent, plus six months of full time office experience in mail services area. The person must be able to communicate in English.
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's License, valid in the State of New York, may be required for some, but not all positions.
New Hire Salary: $35,869* Incumbent Salary: $40,536 *This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin May 25, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
Job Title: Mail Message Services Worker, Level 2 - Office Services (Provisional)
Job ID: 18601
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.